Notify
Tools

Why so much???????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
GunBroker auction for something I know nothing about

Just curious, I've never seen one before, but it just seems like a hell of a lot of money for a rifle with a busted stock.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy #$%@.... They are nuts

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
That is a very rare collectors grade gun.

It all depends upon one's station in life. If one has a considerable amount of money, then $7,000 for that rifle may be like $500 to another person, and if one wants something and has the money, they will pay what it costs.

Too much money chasing too few goods. Its called inflation.

Blue

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 22nd Edition Blue Book shows the following for 100% guns:

G41M - $3500

G41W - $2800

G43 - $1100

"collector grade" ? I don't think so, I think somebody's on crack.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, it might be considered a collector as it is unlikely that you will find another with a the wrist broken in the stock. That should count for something.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic, that must be it. But how do you grade it? What's the difference between 100% crack and 60% crack? Must be sorta like the old NRA scale, fine crack and poor crack.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It gets worse. Here is one with matching numbers.
G41M
Both Mauser (G41M) and Walther (G41W) submitted designs for a gas operated rifle in 1941. The Mauser version was not adopted and only several thousand were produced for field trials. It is extremely rare. The Walther version was adopted and led to popular G43.

Keep in mind that museums, motion picture studios, etc. find their firearms the same way we do. They just have unlimited funds with which to acquire them.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one is really messed up.
98 Sniper

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bid on a South Bend metal shaper on Ebay.
I lost.
I got an email from the seller saying he had a better one for my top bid.
I sent an email to the winner and, lo and behold, the return came from the seller.

Market manipulation.

Look for the same item to be sold again by the same guy, and after the first buyer and the seller exchanges positive ratings.

Market manipulation.

It is hard to know what something is worth in a thinly traded market when some one is messing with the evidence.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark, it sounds like the seller is bidding on his own item under another name. That is strictly against their rules. Turn him in. More than likely too, he was just trying to get the bid up and then peddle it to you, but when you didnt top his bid he tried to peddle it directly. I don't know the name for it but it is very underhanded. Go kick some ass.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Chic,
it's called "shill'ing".. as in the plant in a street corner swindler.... it's against all the rules on all the online auction houses...

ont of those things that being tied to a mustang, and drug through cactus should cure a crooked bastard of...

heffe

Posts: 39669 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I had the great fortune to buy a G41(M) for $1250 in 1993. It was in great condition except the stock had been sanded and the bolt lugs had hairline cracks. The gun was all matching. Funny story, the gun shop I purchased it from had it sitting in the back room. It was on consignment but the owner and the gunshop didn't know how much to sell the gun for. I had never seen one before and also didn't know what they went for. So I swallowed hard and offered $1250 for it, in the hope I didn't just buy an overpriced surplus rifle. Long story short, I sold it the next month for $2K. Back then the internet was not so common and ads in Gunlist was the only way to go. Did I tell you about the K43 mauser with the mint bore? The barrel was damaged with a minor nick ahead of the chamber, so it was never issued out. Needed money (was a poor USMC corporal) so I sold it for what I paid. Oh the good days.

Posts: 72 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote