Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 accuracy trouble .
 Login/Join

posted
Hi ..... Got a couple of questions for all you gunsmiths . 1. Are dual dovetail mounts better on a bigger gun specifically a 338 Win mag. ? 2. Will a Leupold scope operate properly with the windage adjustment nearly all to one side ? What will brake down red locktite ? I will give you some background on my troubles . I bought the gun a 338 Win . Mod . 70 stainless 26" barrel . The dealer loaned me a set of blued bases , with the windage adjustment screws , and rings . I threw my old 7x2 Leupold on it , bought a box of 200 gr. Super X ( white box ) and headed to the range . The trigger was set at a feathery 9 lbs. Even so it turned in a 1" group at 80 yards . I took it apart adjusted the trigger to 3 lbs. Of course Winchester�s fine hot melt bedding fell out. I just stuck it back on . I could feel it putting pressure on the action when I tightened it . Went to my regular range and pulled off two 3 shot groups. 3/4 and 5/8 center to center @ 100 yards . Got my dual dovetail stainless bases ( dealer recommended ), rings , reloading dies , and a new silver Leupold 3x9 vari X II . Mounted it up , loaded a few rounds and headed to the range . The results were a little disappointing I had to move the windage almost all the way to one side . lt had about half a turn left on it .I would shoot a 5 shot group , 3 would end up almost touching then 2 about 2 inches away on either side in know piticular order. Thinking I needed to work on my handloads I tried several powders and bullets . RL 22 & 19 , IMR 4350 & 4831 , H 4350 , 4831 & 1000 . Bullets 200 to 250 gr. 200 gr. BT. Coated and non coated . Barnes 225 XLC , Failsafe , Partions 210 & 250 , Grandslam 250 , Serria 215 & 250 , Hornady 200 , 225 ,& 250 . All did about the same. They seemed to be going mostly horizontal so I bedded the action and about 2" of barrel and floated the rest . Same thing . So I tried pressure on the forend , same thing . I lapped the scope rings , same thing . Then I switched back to my well proven 2x7 leupold scope out . It seemed to shoot a little better but groups still ran about 2" @ 100 yards with the same 3 shots into 1" and 2 fliers pattern . It wasn�t always the same I may have 2 touching and 3 sprayed out or 4 close and 1 out . Even in a 3 shot group it did the same 2 close 1 out . Occasionally it would shoot a good group. I sent the 3 x9 scope to Leupold they sent it back saying it was fine . I went and bought some 200 gr. White box super X but they didn�t seem to do any better. The only thing I can think to do is buy another set of bases with the windage screws and try that . Now I have done so much to the gun I�m not sure where to go from here . I�m considering selling or rebarreling it . I know it wanted to shoot at first. I know I�m not flinching I have had a friend load it and pass it to me without me knowing if there is a round it the chamber . Also at least 2 other people have shot it although I�m not sure of there recoil tolerance except to say it didn�t shoot any different for them . Any Idea�s ?????? Thanks KHH

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Your story could have been mine... about a year ago. Today, my .338 WM shoots like I expect, after throwing away the poor excuse of a barrel the factory provided and exchanging it for a Lothar Walther barrel + a Hogue Overmolded stock.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think dual dovetails are necessary on a 338. Leupold scopes IMHO will not operate correctly when they're adjusted that far out, and other brands won't either. Heat will break the red locktite. I assume your bases are put on with it, try a soldering iron.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As much as I am a fan of the Leupold dual dovetail bases, I think they are your problem for sure. No scope, no matter who made it will do well when screwed all the way to the end of its adjustments.

I like the dual dovetails and have gradually been putting them on all my rifles whenever I buy a new one or rebuild one, etc. However, I still have a set of the standard windage adjustable mounts on my .300 Weatherby and my .338 Winchester Magnum. I have never had a problem with them.

It sounds like you have been through a hell of a lot of trouble, but it sure would be worth the effort to put another set of windage adjustable mounts on that model 70 and see what happens. The action and the barrel may just not be square with each other.

Man, that is a lot of effort, I imagine you are quite frustrated. Try a different set of mounts with windage adjustments again. A friend last year bought a new rifle and tried to put dual dovetails on it, no way, had to have the windage adjustment to get things lined up.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KHH

If you are keen to keep the Dual Dovetails rather than going to windage mounts then this is what I do.

Centre your scope adjustmenst and then mount the scope and bore sight.

Now let's us say when you bore sight the cross wires are pointing 2 or 3 feet (or whatever) to the left of the target, that is, to the left of where the barrel is pointing. Thus you need to move the rear of the scope to the left, but of course you can't.

Now remove the scope and put the top ring back on the back mount. Then grind out the inside left of the rear ring.

Re mount the scope and line it up by pushing the rear to the left until you have it right. You will now aslo have clearance between the right hand side of the scope and the unground part of the rings.

Next thing is to bed the scope (or a 1" steel bar) to the rear ring. Don't worry about the front ring.

I use Devcon Titanium and after it has cured I remove the rear base but leave the ring alone. I then put in boiling water for about 30 minutes. Devcon Titanium will then cure to a hardness that is about like aluminium you find in cheap shitty saucepans.

Decon Titanium is expensive and will cost more than another set of rings so this is only so you can use non windage mounts suc as the Dual Dovetails.

I have never used the used the ordinary steel or aluminium Devocon but it should be OK..I think?

Another thing you can do is to get the Burris Dual Dovetails that have the inserts in them. I have never used them. In fact I have never seen them except in pictures but one of the gunsmiths on this forum said sometime ago that he no longer uses anything else.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The combined poor tolerances of the leupold dual dovetail bases/ring and the misalignment of the barrel or the variances in the drill/tap at the Factory will cause your problems. Sometimes switching to a different base/ring style will cure your problem. I have done this sevral times. Talley will make a set of bases to cure your problem if you call them and describe the trouble.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses . This has been a frustrating experience but I have learned lot too. I would have never stayed after this gun this long if it hadn�t shot so well right of the bat. I must have lucked out with my other guns . I bedded them , floated the barrel , adjusted the trigger�s , and ta da all sub 1" @ 100 yards . This one has been a problem child . I�m going to get some new base�s today I�ll give that a try . I been working in machine shops for 20 years so maybe I�ll try my hand at truing the action and a barrel swap . Thanks again.....KHH