New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flat Top Checkering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just reading the ACGG brochure for ACGG #23, which is the Hagn/Martini/Rabeno .300 Win. Mag. Rifle.

The brochure states that Mr. Hagn checkered the stock in a classic point pattern with mullered borders in English flat topped checkering. This style of checkering is not commonly seen on today's firearms "and is difficult to execute properly".

I am not a checkerer (although I wish I was). But I guess I always thought that pointed checkering was flat top checkering before it became pointed checkering. So for those who checker, I am wondering why flat top checkering would be more difficult to execute properly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Because all those little flat tops have to be the same size to look proper Big Grin !! Points usually wear fairly quickly and are not really necessary for a good gripping surface. The only flat top I've made is metal work on front and back straps on pistols .But pistol shooters don't seem to have heard of it !! For a carry gun flat top doesn't abraid clothing yet affords an excellent gripping surface.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem comes while laying out the pattern. When doing a standard pattern with pointy diamonds, if a line gets a little funky then you can lean the cutter into it and straighten her out as you deepen the line. As you deepen each line, you can even out the lines and it is looking right.

With the flat top, you can't straighten as you deepen, so you better get it right the first time. Flat ones have to be laid out properly-meaning evenly the first go around-and unequal diamonds jump out at the viewer.

BTW-that's one hell of a rifle, isn't it! thumb

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Hagn was delivered in late July and it has the flat top checkering that Adolf Hagn does so well. It sounds like it might look odd but when you see it in person it looks great. It has a nice feel to it when you hold the rifle, a good solid grip but no abrasion regardless of how much it is shot.

Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Here's one. Not sure who built it. Fraser in .22H at Cabelas.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey you big tease, show us more pics!!! Is that your rifle?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Marc

Here;'s the link to Cabelas. I really wish I could justify $13K for a .22H.

Fraser .22h

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Maybe showing my ignorance hillbilly but that picture looks like regular checkering to me; I thought flat checkering was more like this example from Track of the Wolf's kit page.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate, you are right. I was thinking the same thing and tried to find a good photo of English flat top checkering and gave up. That photos shows it well. It is basically just layout with a narrow angle cutter.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
This is a photo of flat top checkering on a 500 Jeffery that Duane Wiebe is building for himself:

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Form where I sit, the best thing that has happened to AR since I joined is Mr. Wiebe gracing us with his presence and giving us pics like that. Thank you very much for posting Forrest.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Form where I sit, the best thing that has happened to AR since I joined is Mr. Wiebe gracing us with his presence and giving us pics like that.

I agree. thumb

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen English flat top checkering. Amazing work........

WE NEED TO SEE THE REST OF THAT RIFLE! Wink

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, does Duane install borders like that (particular the one on the bottom) just to show the rest of us how inadequate we really are? That is incredible work.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Forrest, does Duane install borders like that (particular the one on the bottom) just to show the rest of us how inadequate we really are? That is incredible work.

Overwhelmed dittos!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I think he only does this quality of work on his personal projects.

I like the border. This is the closest to stock carving that I've seen and still like.

470Evans, that is one terrific looking Rigby in your link.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mentioned that .500 in another string as an example of really good English chequering. Duane really did a fabulous job on it.

The little Rigby .303 is lovely, even if Rigby didn't build it.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote