New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality of the Browning 1895?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to know something about the model 1895. I've seen a few of the Browning-made versions on various auction sites. What is the quality like of these Brownings, especially compared to the USRAC ones? I guess they are made in Japan? Do they have any aluminum parts? Any ideas when they were made? I've only seen them in 30/06. Were they made in any other calibers?

TIA,
Stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Browning 1895s were made by the same company that makes the USRA rifles today. The Brownings are more faithful to the original design as they don't have the awful tang safety, but rely on the traditional half cock notch. They are very fine quality rifles and also very accurate. They were made in 270 Win. 30-40 Krag, and 30-06. They were made in the 80s. I have one in 30-40 that was made in 1984 and is a very fine rifle. They are steel and walnut rifles.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester or Browning name doesn't make any difference. They're all made in Japan by Miroku. I happen to have a 100th anniversary model 1895. It has Winchester stamped on the barrel not the usual USRAC. Extra fancy plated and gold engraved receiver and finger lever; blued hammer, bolt and 24" barrel in 30-06 caliber. High grade walnut also. But every one of my Brownings has nicely figured dark wood. And I would say that the fit and finish is markedly better than your regular production American made brands.

I do know that they were made in other calibers, but only the 405 Win comes to mind. Browning made a run of them in the late 80's and Winchester made a run in the early 90's. I think the Rifleman had an article on the 1895's a few years back with production data. Also, you can trace most Browning made guns on their website if you have a serial number. It will tell you what year it was made.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are very good quality. I own one each, a Browning 30-06 and a Winchester 270 I love them

I have also re-barreled 2 others for friends, in 338-06 and 35 Whelen. The 35 was made in "scout style" with the Burris scout scope, and it's a perfect elk gun. Both of them would shoot about 1 1/4" at 100 yds.