New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas to improve stock on wby mark V
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got an older wby 340 with the tupperware stock. It's probably a early 90's vintage...jap built I think by Howa. Anyhow its a fussy shooter and I was checking to see if the barrel was free floated and it's not. It even has little pads molded at the front of the channel to make pressure point at the tip.
There are also support ribs that seem to make contact ahead of the front action screw.
QUESTION: Are there any reasonable improvements that can/should be made on the stock....if not has anyone got a replacement stock idea that isn't a small fortune??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
B&C makes a nice upgrade. I have taken the nubs off a tupperware stock and it should be better for you. The stock has a lot of flex but could be easily bedded. This is cheapest.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
You might want to try another stock. I have one that you can have for the price of shipping. If not just buy a new B&C or you will go nuts trying to get the old one shooting properly. Not worth the agravation.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack up the optics and replace everything that's bespoiled by the W'by name under them?

If it was my Howa, the first thing I'd do is get rid of the foam rubber stock and install one made out of natural materials (IE: wood)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hold it. Don't do anything till you talk to a 340 owner.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote