Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel extensions and barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Being an older coot than some, I have sub-minimal knowledge of parts fabrication and design in the newer Mattel guns. Wink

So, having read a rather spirited discussion here recently, I've got a few questions:

1. When one buys a barrel for an AR-10, are the barrel and barrel extension one solid piece? Or, does the barrel screw into/out of the extension?

2. Is the same true for an M-16/AR-15?

3. If the barrels screw into/out of the barrel extensions, why would a minor variation in extension length make any difference in the functioning of the rifle? Wouldn't that simply be a matter of threading the barrel to a proper length to seat properly in the extension one already has?

4. If one is fitting ANY make of barrel to ANY Mattel design rifle, wouldn't he always measure the important dimensions of the parts being installed, and fit them to his desired specs?

I know I sure do that on all other kinds of rifles, because I have found that manufacturers' dimensions & tolerances are often, at best, only approximately correct, but not always exactly so.

5. I got the impression, perhaps incorrectly, from what I've read here about it, that fitting a barrel to a Mattel rifle seems to be taken more as a job of "assembling" pre-dimesioned more or less drop-in parts, rather than hand-fitting them. Is that correct, or not?

Not trying to start a big fuss. am just asking for the benefit of my own store of information so the next time it comes up I'll know what is being talked about and why.

Thanks for your responses.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

1. When one buys a barrel for an AR-10, are the barrel and barrel extension one solid piece? NO

Or, does the barrel screw into/out of the extension? YES

2. Is the same true for an M-16/AR-15? YES

3. If the barrels screw into/out of the barrel extensions, why would a minor variation in extension length make any difference in the functioning of the rifle?

The tenon length/depth of the extension lugs controls the distance between the bolt lug faces and the breech face.

Wouldn't that simply be a matter of threading the barrel to a proper length to seat properly in the extension one already has?

Pretty much, .620"

4. If one is fitting ANY make of barrel to ANY Mattel design rifle, wouldn't he always measure the important dimensions of the parts being installed, and fit them to his desired specs?

I do, it still takes me less time to do an AR barrel than a typical bolt action rifle.

I know I sure do that on all other kinds of rifles, because I have found that manufacturers' dimensions & tolerances are often, at best, only approximately correct, but not always exactly so.

The barrel extensions I've used from DPMS have all been within .0015 of each other.

5. I got the impression, perhaps incorrectly, from what I've read here about it, that fitting a barrel to a Mattel rifle seems to be taken more as a job of "assembling" pre-dimesioned more or less drop-in parts, rather than hand-fitting them. Is that correct, or not?

If you've already got the barrel assembly headspaced, extension pin set, gas port drilled - you can pretty much just bolt it together.

AC

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fireball for your comprehensive, concise, and fully understandable answers.

Did I read you correctly where you said that the DPMS extensions you've received are all within 15 ten-thousandths of each other, or did you mean 15 thousandths?

Even for CNC equipment I find that amazing, what with tool wear, tool chipping, etc. Not doubting it, just want to make sure I have it straight. They must have a heavy $ QC commitment.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I recently placed an order with McGowen for some precontoured 30 caliber AR blanks.

Bought 10 SPMS extensions from Brownell's.

Started measuring them, and my typing was correct - the extreme spread of the barrel face to lug dimension is .0015.

Haven't started measuring the difference between the bolts - lug thickness, bolt face depth, etc. That's next.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5/10 is not quite aircraft-grade, but it's danged good for this application. I'm impressed...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote