been going on from the late '60's until he got sick
in the early 2000's. Needless to say, the trigger
was quite "gummy". I have sprayed "Gun Scrubber" in
any place that an opening is exposed, but wonder
if that is enough for cleaning. Cannot find
anywhere that has instructions for correct
disassembly/reassembly.

Has anyone here done this? If so, how does one
go about it and get it back together correctly?

Thanks.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I have one apart on my bench as we speak. I'll email you some pictures and stuff.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Malm, I could really use exactly that!

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
What cali. 788? I have my grand fathers and fathers in 6mm and 243. They still shoot great with hand loads. I put new stocks own them and will bed them soon. I still have the original stocks put away. My fathers triggeer had to be soaked in cleaner to get it to work right at that time I thought his eye sight was going.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have access to one of the new sonic cleaners, that does the best job of cleaning the internals that I have found. I use the gun parts solution and put a trigger group in the machine for 2 of the 480 second cycles. You would not believe all of the junk that comes out of them.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Danno,

Pictures and text are in your inbox!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
If you have access to one of the new sonic cleaners, that does the best job of cleaning the internals that I have found. I use the gun parts solution and put a trigger group in the machine for 2 of the 480 second cycles. You would not believe all of the junk that comes out of them.

I've contemplated using an ultra sound cleaning unit, but until they come out with a model that can eyeball and inspect the individual pieces while it cleans, then I'm afraid it's back to hand scrubbing the old fashion way for this kid. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother's rifle began to run down when the bolt was closed. Inspection of it revealed some goo that looked like bee's wax. There was nothing mechanically wrong with it. I suspect the goo was nothing more than dried Brite-Bore solvent since he never does anything else to one.
I flushed it with Hoppes and used a little compressed air to remove it. He has had the rifle about 40 years and has fired about 3 or 4 boxes of ammo so I know it was not worn or damaged from use.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Malm's instructions and photos, it is
cleaned and all is well. It was actually more
difficult to get the darned thing back on correctly
than to disassemble/reassemble!

pago, I do have a sonic cleaner but little cleaning
solution, and am using that for brass, thanks all
the same. They do a good job in spite of what some
have said about them IF used correctly.

mdvjrp93, I don't want to start any of the "not
enough caliber" debates here, but it's a .22-250.
Every shot he made was a lung shot and he never
lost a deer.

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Cool! If you are happy with it then it is good to go. My grandfather used a 22 for a long time when my father was growing up. He had only 2 guns double 16 and the 22. He would shoot right behind the ear.

I love those rifles and hunting with them because of the memories.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote