THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Barrel threads on pre WW2 model 70 the same as today

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel threads on pre WW2 model 70 the same as today
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pre-war model 70 Winchester in 220 Swift. I have a chance to buy a 375 H&H barrel from a new 375 H&H.

Are the barrel threads the same or has there been a change saince 1936 when the 220 swift was made.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thread are the same. You'd probably have to do some machine work to make the barrel index properly and to clear the extractor. The bolt and extractor will have to be modified to work. The rifle wouldn't feed from the magazine without some work. None of those things come cheap.

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should. A pre -war 70 in 220 Swift is a thing of value. One that has been rebarreled and modified to a 375 is probably going to be worth less than a new model 70 in 375. It'll certainly be worth far less than it is now.

You'd be money ahead to throw the 375 barrel away and forget the whole thing lest you be tempted to go forward.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Your Swift action and bolt face would have to be opened to long magnum configuration. You'll also need several new parts, ie: follower, extractor collar, bolt stop, etc.

As Mark points out this is probably not a cost effective conversion.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me tha I heard that the WSM forced Winchester to change the tenon threads from 1" to 1 1/16".

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote