New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worn press
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend has inherited an old Lynam turret press which cams over, any suggestions TO FIX IT.
I have no experience with them but have the technology to repair any mechanical fault as a favour to him.
He will be hand loading 243 only and mainly neck sizing with lee dies..two turns of the die is enough to stop it caming, have I answered my own question?
It has a badly welded repair to the handle. Apart from that it all looks in good order.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe cam over is quite normal. It assures the case has been fully sized. If you don't prefer it then by all means turn the die down further. Is it a C-type press? If so you might also check to see if it has been sprung - the broken handle might be a clue. Make sure the shell holder is flush and centered on the die base at full up-stroke.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
I believe cam over is quite normal. It assures the case has been fully sized. If you don't prefer it then by all means turn the die down further. Is it a C-type press? If so you might also check to see if it has been sprung - the broken handle might be a clue. Make sure the shell holder is flush and centered on the die base at full up-stroke.

Thank you Bobster for the quick reply. I don't have it on the bench yet and have asked him to send me a pic to jog my memory Confusedand Ill get back to you. tu2jc

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I thought that all reloading presses actually cammed over? I assumed that it is a means to ensure that the ram takes the same length of stroke every time.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
I thought that all reloading presses actually cammed over? I assumed that it is a means to ensure that the ram takes the same length of stroke every time.

Rod, My single stage Lee press has made thousands of rounds. It does not cam over.

The little Lyman is different and does,I have no experience with them as indicated in the op.and figured it might be worn. Apparently not, information for which I thanked Bobster earlier. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John:
Don't know if they're the same press or not.
I have a 1950's era Lyman 4 hole turret press I use all the time. It does cam over. Just need to adjust the dies to where you want it to stop.
The turret part is actually only a storage plate for 4 dies. Rotate it to the die desired.
The main column is near 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" dia. The shell holder assy slides up n down the column. The connecting arms are flats about 3/4"-1" wide and about 1/8" thick and pinned on each end. Wouldn't be any major trick to make up new flats for it if need be.

The handle is just a 3/4" rod, end on this one was rough, I ordered some of those round wood balls Lee puts on their tools. Epoxied one on the handle and it's just right. Polished it nicely and finished it with TruOil. Handle was straight and I kept knocking a knuckle against the turret head. Bent the handle near where it inserts into the swivel bar on bottom and that cured that problem. Seems like it's a heavy duty rig, just the flat arms look flimsy compared to the rest of it, but, they work just fine.

IF he don't want it once it's used a bit. Let me know I'd like to have another one.

Good luck with it, hope this helps.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There are two Lyman turret presses; one has a big round column like George describes and the other has a cast frame and the turret is mounted on top. Which one do you have?
I had one of the cast ones in 1973; they work fine. I don't understand the part about camming over. Most all presses do that if you screw the die down far enough, and if the linkage is made to do it. So that is normal. (The Lee has a different link setup).
Make a new handle for it and start loading. The top turret is practically impossible to break. The detent might get gummed up...

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have two old Lyman turrets, one's orange with the black turret and one's black with a red turret. Both of them cam over.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its mighty hard to spring cast iron it usually breaks first...probably used a cheater bar to break the handle and for what reason is hardly imaginable..I have never broken a reloading press and actually don't know anyone who has unless it was a real cheapie it would be near impossible to break one, but some folks could destroy a 250 lb. anvil with a powderpuff so never say never! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote