New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I looked at a M98 this evening that had AMBERG stamped on the front ring.

Overall a very nice, mostly original rifle in 8mm. It has a Lyman peep added, bolt and action numbers don't match (are exactly 60 numbers apart), etc, but still nice.

I admit to knowing a lot less about these old Mausers than I probably should, but there's just too many "variables" for me to keep up with.

So, regarding an Amberg version... good, bad, no difference?

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of an AMBERG model M98. Look around and see if you can find dates on it. Does it have the thumb cut? What do they want for it? What do you want to do with it? A action is a $200-300 item today. You want a strong, forged action preferably made between 1928 and 1939. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Amberg is the name of the German Armory where the rifle was produced.

Also Danzig, Erfurt and Spandau.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was is a small ring m98. I wonder if its a small ring large shank thread action that are undisirable and supposedly not safe

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the the thickness of the receiver ring on the right side over the extractor. If it is about the thickness of a Gillette blue blade you might have one of the small ring large thread receivers.

I saw one of those that had collapsed when an action wrench had been tightened on it.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw an Amberg marked 98 a while back and it was a small ring 98. Large ring diameter is 1.410"

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look around and see if you can find dates on it.

I "think" it was 1917, right under the AMBERG. He had a few (dozen or so) different rifles for sale. M98's, a couple Enfields, an '03, etc. After a bit, the details all ran together in my mind. Frowner

quote:
Does it have the thumb cut?

It did.

quote:
What do they want for it?

$350, but "may" be "negotiable" (although after he said that, he stuck firm on the one rifle I *did* want... Mad)

quote:
What do you want to do with it?

Who knows? Wink Just always looking, and watching you guys write about your vaunted 98's, so figured maybe if it was one of the more desirable versions, I'd pick it up, stuff it in the safe, dream of a project, scrap said project, and sell it off years later to someone that might use it, like most of my "gun deals". Big Grin

quote:
Amberg is the name of the German Armory where the rifle was produced.

Thanks Bill!

quote:
Was is a small ring m98.

Look at the the thickness of the receiver ring on the right side over the extractor. If it is about the thickness of a Gillette blue blade you might have one of the small ring large thread receivers.

I saw an Amberg marked 98 a while back and it was a small ring 98. Large ring diameter is 1.410"

Hmmm, I have no idea. Like I said, I'm not much up on the finer points of Mausers. But, with three of you saying it, maybe that says something?

Unfortunately the guy is an hour and a half away. It was a good day for taking a ride with my dad, through some of our favorite country. I doubt I'll go back just to measure it though now.

Maybe sometimes "not knowing" is better (and cheaper)... Razzer

Thanks for the help guys!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know the efurts are weak small ring, large thread actions and seem to remember the Ambergs are also unsafe.

Some guy had 3 efurt rifles on consignment at the local shop. They were all rusty junk and the guy wanted $599 each. What a joke. He must have thought he had something valueable but actually had junk.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote