The Accurate Reloading Forums
To Loctite or not Loctite scope mounts.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/4671058562

11 May 2021, 06:44
custombolt
To Loctite or not Loctite scope mounts.
Mounts, screws for scopes on hunting rifles.So, blue Loctite is assumed. Comments welcome. Pick one.Yes. I use that stuff on all my mounts.No, Never had a problem without.Yes. But, only on my dangerous game rifles.Yes. But, only on the scope base(s).Not unless the customer requests it.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.
11 May 2021, 06:52
Toomany Tools
Never, but I wouldn’t ever install cheap bases/rings with soft screws that will shoot loose.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!
11 May 2021, 17:49
bigbull
Only on my bases
bb
12 May 2021, 07:02
custombolt
Toomanytools: Define cheap bases/screws please. Aluminum Weavers?The screws were fine on a pair I had used on a Gewehr 98. The metal very soft. So, I switched to steel bases. QUOTE]Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Never, but I wouldn’t ever install cheap bases/rings with soft screws that will shoot loose.[/QUOTE]

13 May 2021, 22:31
custombolt
Thanks for the replies. Putting the rings on dry. There are no bases, Brno 22 with dovetail bridges.

14 May 2021, 01:27
Duane Wiebe (CG&R)
If you're REALLY worried about rings slipping, paint on a bit of liquid electrical tape..This tip from NECG...Buehler used something of the sort for decades on the inside of his rings.

The use of loc tit e in any color is not needed. Screw on the bases TIGHT, then fit the driver in the slot and give the handle a good whack with a medium weight hammer. You'll be able to draw up the screw another 1/8-1/4 turn.

I've done this on countless heavies, never had a base come loose..even on 500's.

This is not a new idea..and it doesn't come in a tube.
14 May 2021, 04:50
custombolt
No worries Duane. The 7X57 caliber is mild in recoil. I'll be setting the torque at 15 I.P. No bases to mount though. Factory dovetail bridges on a Brno 22F (post above corrected/specified).
I used the tap idea before. Great idea as is the liquid tape. Time for a fresh bottle. You had mentioned that one a few years ago and can you believe it - I never forgot it.
Cheers.

14 May 2021, 17:51
jeffeosso
i generally just take some clear nail polish to bases .... it serves the purpose, but it's VERY easy to remove with heat

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com
14 May 2021, 19:58
Duane Wiebe (CG&R)
Custom...I'm sure you're OK with that one. Don't know if there's an end to the giant scopes they keep designing for "light weight" hunting rifles.

Lee Le Bas t ells me that some Europeans have resorted to actually permanently gluing (Epoxy) the rings to the scope.
15 May 2021, 04:30
custombolt
DW I think so. Now, I have 3 (different brand) brand new T10 hex bits that don't fit the screws. This is a first. Hand screwdrivers fit great.

15 May 2021, 16:22
p dog shooter
I have use some on a few rifles.

I have used none on many rifles.

I have never hand a problem with the scope mounts on a Ruger rifle MKI or MKII coming loose. stir
15 May 2021, 19:53
df06
I used blue loctite on bases and rings for many years, then stopped using it about 15 years ago. I don’t shoot big boomers, 7 rem mag is my biggest and I mostly shoot 22 center fires and smaller. I’ve had zero issues on dozens of rifles since quitting loctite.

NRA Patron member
15 May 2021, 22:42
Toomany Tools
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Toomanytools: Define cheap bases…
[/QUOTE]

For a start, anything with “see through” in the description. Big Grin

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!
16 May 2021, 07:37
custombolt
Hah! I call 'em neck stretcher mounts.

quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Toomanytools: Define cheap bases…

For a start, anything with “see through” in the description. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

16 May 2021, 22:19
Atkinson
I hunt more than most, been in the hunting business or more than 40 years..I use red loctite or glass bed compound on base screws. I use a thin coat leather glue on ring insides and I clean ring screws and threads with lighter fluid or whatever..and have gone to torx screws...Its a precaustion to not ruin or jumble up a hunting trip..and its worked for many years...I use a cooking butane torch with a tiny flame on the screws and they come right out, even the glass bedding...You can remove glass bedding in your rifle by heating it with a hair dryer...Use the red loctite its tougher..

Its not shooting thats the problem, its packign that gun in a pickup over dirt roads, and in a saddle scabbard..Wanna watch your cross hairs turn carry your gun every day for a month or two in the truck on a ranch or in a saddle scabbard, I had to deal with that for years in camp, on other hunters rifles, installed by gunsmiths or salesmen as a matter of fact. A tube of red and fitted screw driver set and a know on a tree to resight on..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com