New
Find
Notify
Tools

M700 Aftermarket firing pin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a PEIRCEsion firing pin assembly from Sinclair's for few years on M700--have had no problems.

But...I ordered a Callhan assembly form Mdiway for a buddy. He came over today and the bolt was binding on opening/cocking.

Inspection reveal the cocking piece was galling on the cam on the bolt body. It had wore a groove on the camming surface of the bolt body.

A Dremel and polishing compound has (temporarily?) smoothed things up.

Is the cocking piece too hard for the bolt body steel? Has anybody else seen this?

Casey

Posts: 112 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bolt body should be very hard, as should the cocking piece. I always apply a little dab of the grease I use on the lugs to the camming surface of the bolt. Has someone installed a new bolt handle on this bolt and possibly annealed the bolt?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, look to see if there is any discoloration around the notch. If there is, take it to a gunsmith to have the notch spot hardened. The groove itself is caused by a high spot on the camming surface of the cocking piece. It needs to bear evenly across the "ramp". Using layout fluid, or, a magic marker to check your progress, carefully stone the nose of the cocking piece down until it makes "full" contact up the entire length of the ramp, lightly polish, clean and apply a thin amount of grease to the cocking piece.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, this rifle was bought new a couple years ago and other than bedding and trigger adjustment it is untouched.

The groove was being wore on one side of the ramp. So as I polished the ramp with a Dremel and a little JB on felt wheel, attempting to even it up.

I will have to take a closer look at the cocking peice to see if there's a burr.

Thanks

Posts: 112 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you say REMINGTON? I have been using Remington's stuff since the 50's and haven't seen the need to go aftermarket for anything, the list to include the so called junk triggers, the dreaded J-Lock bolts, oh,did I forget to mention the bolt handle bull-shit?
I have been using Remingtons since the 50's and don't see any reason to go anywhere else, well, maybe Cooper.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
Can you say REMINGTON? I have been using Remington's stuff since the 50's and haven't seen the need to go aftermarket for anything, the list to include the so called junk triggers, the dreaded J-Lock bolts, oh,did I forget to mention the bolt handle bull-shit?
I have been using Remingtons since the 50's and don't see any reason to go anywhere else, well, maybe Cooper.

Stepchild

Athough I own a variety of different makes of bolt actions--I'm a M720/700 guy. I currently own 10 of 'em. But the J-Locks are history on the two of mine that were formerly equiped. The J-Locks Are Dead!--thank gawd.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaseyC:
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:

Stepchild

Athough I own a variety of different makes of bolt actions--I'm a M720/700 guy. I currently own 10 of 'em. But the J-Locks are history on the two of mine that were formerly equiped. The J-Locks Are Dead!--thank gawd.

Just to add to the mix.... I have a 700 MTN Rifle that was converted from 30/06 to 22/250 Ackley Improved and it shoots groups below .250(Shilen bbl.) and has the dreaded J-Lock.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote