THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need to refinish a stock, which Chem-Pak product?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to refinish a stock, which Chem-Pak product?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
(this thread I started as "Got my rifle back from Dennis Olson, super pleased" but everybody got so overwhelmed with the coolness of my 35 whelen ackley improved with 26" douglas barrel that they forgot to answer my stock finish question Big Grin ).

Hey guys, I really wish I had some better before pics of this, let me just introduce it this way, it had the thick heavy forend, closed grip, huge cheek piece and extreme rollover. the checkering was blacked somehow. I sent this to Dennis to figure out a firing problem with too light strikes. while there I asked for a burgess bolt knob to be installed, screw size increased for the base, and when talking to him I mentioned wanting to modify the stock and use it as a pattern.

He told me it was actually a nice piece of lacewood and after talking about what I didn't like about it said he could work on it and I could finish it up myself. what a great job.

there was no shadowline to the cheekpiece before, no chamfer at the ejection port, and no transitions at the back at the magazine floorplate.

last pic is just to show the figure in the wood. it is very light.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of questions:

1. what stain would help bring the color out? a light orange or red?

2. if I want to try one of the chem-pak finishes, should I use the aeresol or the canned pro finish?

Red
PS
Bolt handle came out awesome too. He installled a new spring which makes it pretty stiff, but it'd be close to perfect if I had another .5" LOP. gonna look for a thicker pad.

Red

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey dago,

i am awaiting dennis to finish working on my cz. good to see someone else currently using dennis.

jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked him because he was one of the few names on the list of guys good with enfields. He doesn't usually talk much, but one day got on a role. I like him. and am really surprised how much he was able to transform this stock. now I just need to find a recoil pad that is a bit shorter (honestly this hasn't felt too short before, becuase I am usually wearing heavy clothing when I use it).

Red

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lacewood is good, dense, tough stuff. It is what I chose for my 500 Linebaugh. It also polishes out beautifully as my grips came but they were a bit to slick to hold onto.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news!! I have moved up one place in line. I have an Enfield with him right now.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know he has about 300 guns going at any one time?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep I know he has a back log.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Boxhead, that's a great looking revolver! that's the same grain as in the stock, I think a red would be good for stain on this wood, I think in one of my books it talked about how to do that, some sort of root maybe it says?

anybody got an opinion on which of those finishes? I am going to edit the title cause nobody caught that part. Smiler

Red

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Alkanet Root mixed with and oil based finish will yield a red tone to the wood.

Never used the stuff personally but have heard the masters talk about it quite often. Have no clue how much to use either.

And On that note I'd suggest an oil finish hand worked into the wood. Aerosol cans are for walmart furniture. Not really but if applied incorrectly that's what it will look like.
I use the canned stuff myself But don't take my advice I'm no stock maker but have gotten some great results taking my sweet time with a can of finish, some sand paper, and a roll of paper towels. Takes about six weeks work depending on time and weather.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
lace and quilting and bees wing etc usually POP when stained with an aniline dye type finish. I think an alchohol type NOT water type.

never used it on a stock before.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Want to spray and wipe or wipe aniline dye stain then finish with either Tung Oil or what final finish ?.

I use Mohawk products as their professional commercial grade and I've been with em for 40 years .

Plus they have ANY WOOD FINISH PRODUCT KNOWN . Give them a look see , however

I recommend the latter links for smaller Hobby quantity's, which is far more economical .

I know Brownells carries Chem-Pak and I've never used any of their products .

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/

http://www.mohawk-finishing.co...rowse.asp?ictNbr=180

http://woodworker.com/a-s-brt-...dye-mssu-845-541.asp

http://oem.sherwin-williams.co...g_stain_concentrate/

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would I be able to find analine dies at Orchard Supply Hardware or Home depot do you think? or are they wood speciality store things?

I gotta tell you guys, I don't want to do a 6 week finish, I don't care how fancy it is, it's a pain in the ass and I can't believe, no offense to those that use that method, that a great finish can't be done much faster. If I'm going to have time to get it done at all it's going to have to be something reasonable. I guess I'll try the chem pak liquid versus the spray, I do worrya bout a spray finish going bad and causing me more hassle than the possible time savings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
D R

You can get Alkenet root from Duane. He has instructions on his sight on how he does it,www.customgunandrifle.com

As for the GunSaver finish. I have used both liquid and aerosol. Only advice is to sand/scuff between every coat on the aerosol. The aerosol is quick and once cured leaves a nice hard finish.
My normal refinish is to soak the stock and inletting with thinned liquid (Velvit Oil)until it will not take anymore. Let dry for two or three days. Sand down and then finish with the aerosol.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
finishes:

chemical dyes, anilines of all types, oils, roots, shellacs,

http://www.woodfinishingenterprises.com/

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
www.customgunandrifle.com

thanks a lot guys. I'm gonna break my cradle out by the end of the month and get this going, I want to hunt it this fall. I think I'll give it a go checkering it too. Eeker