THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    338 WSM Dies Are On The Shelves Here And Sundry Ramblings...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 WSM Dies Are On The Shelves Here And Sundry Ramblings...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
I'm a bit itchy as it's "between seasons" and I'm contemplating too many new rifle projects which always fade into obscurity when I'm actually up in the mountains!

Anyway, I was just up at "Gibson's" (our local discount house) and saw they had RCBS 338 WSM dies on the shelf. No ammo, no guns, no word, just dies. I hear Olin may change the 338 WSM's dimensions, so these dies may have to be packed-up and shipped back to RCBS... I still REALLY like the idea of the 338 WSM... only if it'll feed smoothly however!

Gibson's also had the new Ruger 17 Rimfire... no ammo, just the rifle... seems kinda neat, though I can't find a use for one. I suppose it's for the non-handloader who wants something flatter shooting than the 22 Mag and more accurate than the Hornet. Bit of a tight "niche" I'd think... maybe not.

You've gotta love a store that's only a mile from your house and has everything from Nosler Partitions to women's lingerie... only in Montana!

Well, I'm snug by the fire and the snow is flying... oh for spring!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Nosler Partitions and women's lingerie! I just had the most amazing visual. As for spring, well we just got more snow and -27 with the windchill, and it's headed south. I hope it peters out before it gets to you. Stay warm - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So Brad, how much did you spend on your lingerie?

Just kidding, but you are correct in assuming the factory 338WSM will be different fro the 338-300WSM. Winchester will probably shorten the cartridge slightly for seating the longer 338 bullets.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Dan, the sad thing is that if a gal bought lingerie at Gibson's she'd better bring home a box of Nosler's for her man... it is a discount store after all and that stuff ain't anything to look at!

I've heard those rumors too... I truly hope that's not the case... the current configuration will hold bullets just fine according to those that have used it. I'd hate to see the case capacity diminished. May as well get a 338-06... 2,700 fps with 225's in my 22" barrel.

Brad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard that Brad's wife buys him reloading equipment there and buys herself Camo nighties. That way he can't find her. Only a rumor mind you.

Brad, are you thinking of a short 338/06? You have enough guns, put in the water in your new house like your family is screaming for. They are tired of pumping it and hauling in buckets.

Chic (or his evil twin)

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 04-03-2002).]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Look here evil-twin, haven't I supplied them with a good axe to chop through the ice and sturdy bucket to haul water? Sheesh, folks is gittin spoilt.