Find
Notify
Tools

muzzle loader nipple repair
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
I have a muzzle loader that the 1/4x28"nipple and threads have been stipper.
What would be a repair for this?
I checked around a found a oversize nipple
.284 x 28 tpi. It would be close to 9/32"
I checke msc and brownells for a tap and can not come up with one.
also checked track of the wolf?
Any help, IDEAS, appriciated.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
You could get a heli-coil kit. You would have to drill and tap the hole to fit the major diameter of the heli-coil and use some epoxy on the threads.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dixie Gun Works will have the answer for you. I know that they once had nipples in all kinds of sizes and you could use a series of nipples to recut the thread etc. They even had information on how to do this. The other idea is to drill and tap for a musket size nipple which would give you better ignition anyway.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CVA and Traditions as well as dixie gunwork have all size nipple barrels. Just replace that barrel is the easiest way.The other treads are metric. I had the same problem,just measure your nipple barrel threads and the shaft as well before ordering. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could get a heli-coil kit.

DO NOT DO THAT!! If it fails you could get a nipple through your skull! Blind or labotimized, both are very bad. The Dixie advice is correct. They have oversized nipples and taps to go with them.