New
Find
Notify
Tools

788 scope base
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son recently bought a 788 in 222 and is having problems finding a scope base. I found the 2 piece weaver but have question about how ridgid the mount would be since it only has one mounting screw on one of the mounts. A one-piece would probably work okay if I can find one. Any thoughts on this?

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redfield has their once piece Jr bases that fit 788’s. Brownell’s has them as part # 750-511-159 for about $20 bucks.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One-piece "turn-in" bases are available, as I have one on mine. The 788's action lengths were labelled odd; something like "long" for the 222/223 family, "extra long" for the 243/308, and "short" for the 44 Mag.
I do not recall if mine are Leupold, Redfield, or Burris...but they do/did exist.
A one piece "Weaver style" base I have never seen...but maybe they also exist.
Not much recoil in your 222, so two piece bases should be okay, even with one screw, if others are not readily found.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken Farrel has made probably the best scope base ever made for this rifle.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also some help for the 788 is that it used 8-40 screws instead of 6-48's used by most of the other scope mounts.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I've used the Weaver rings and bases on my 788 for 20 years with no problems, and its a truck gun.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys.