Find
Notify
Tools

cerama-coat on a revolver
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
I have a blued Redhawk revolver that could use some finish work. I'd like to boost the weather protection at the same time. Is it safe/advised/endorsed to use Wheeler's cerama-coat spray and bake finish on a revolver? It's all steel.

Are there any tricks or pitfalls with this process on this specific kind of gun? Would I want to completely disassemble it and apply the finish to all the internal parts too, or would that mess up the fit or timing?

Any thoughts on how this finish stands up to all the mechanical movement in a revolver or holster wear?

Would I want to sand the polished blued finish or blast it before spraying? Does it matter? It's my understanding that this kind of finish covers a lot of minor imperfections.

Thanks!

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of spray on coatings. Although some if properly applied are great I don't think a revolver is the place for it. With the cylinder lock slots and the cylinder face along with the yoke and crane fit. It would be a challenge to get everything coated and fit and working properly.

Personally I would find a shop that does Melonite QPQ treatment. That is just about the best corrosion resistant finish you can apply to a firearm short of making it from Stainless to begin with. My HK USP is melonite finished I've had it for four years and not the slightest hint of corrosion or wear.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote