New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 98/22 -- alloy or case hardened?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm very curious -- everything I've read / heard says alloy -- the guns in question are all from the later runs made at the 'C.S.' factory. The bluing pattern, or relative lack thereof, on the bottom on the front ring and around the recoil lug area is similar to what I've noticed on various case hardened DWM actions I've used. The lower front ring area seems harder to my file also. Is this action really case hardened?

Incidentally, if anyone is looking for a nice donor action, check out these guns. Nicely made, only caveat is that some have what look like Turk bolts -- tool marks and all -- but easily useable. I love the 'BRNO' on the front ring -- I usually leave crests / lettering intact, unless partly scrubbed.

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody got an answer?
Ray [Smile]

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
The 98/22 can be either one. Like Orbendorf, DWM, Steyr and a couple others. They were made with both heat-treats.

You should test with Knoop and Rockwell points to determine which it is, but you can usually tell by testing the inner recesses with a needle file. Scratch it where the locking lugs don't engage. Engagement surfaces are usually work hardened and don't show much difference.

The bolts, shrouds, cocking pieces, sears, etc are cased or double cased.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

I am still not sure which this is -- I guess it doesn't matter, since I'm not planning on opening the action up at all. I was trying to draw file some light pits out on the side (woodline), and found it too hard to file even that high up. So I just did some extra stoning. I'm wondering if it might be extra hard "heat treat skin." I've been told that this action was made in the late 20's to 30's.

The whole front ring has been stoned flat and hand polished to 400 grit, boy do these old actions look nice like that. I just hope it will blue to a nice uniform color.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Todd,
May I ask where you picked up your action? Spingfield Sporters? An ad out of Shotgun News? If so could you lead me in the right direction?
Thanks.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I picked up mine at a chain sporting goods store, Dunham's (www.dunhamssports.com). They were recently on sale for $89, then $79.

I have seen them going pretty cheap on auctionarms.com (which you are already familiar with). Some of them have seen hard use, so I would specifically ask the person selling about pitting at the woodline, as well as under the front edge of the handguard.

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got three from century for 60$ apeice.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Thanks...time to find where I left the copy of the C&R [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right now they are on sale; five for $325.
Ray