New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Work
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it possble to straighten a stock? My fore end is way off center compared to my barrel and I wouldnt want to scrap out material on my stock because it still wouldnt be centered and the stock would be ultra thin on one side. thanks (Its a walnut stock)

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
This gets done all the time for shotguns (although I've seen it mostly in England)to change the cast, it's simpler because you are working with the thin pistol grip. You really need two vices, or other means of clamping the stock rigidly, clamp the butt tightly and use the vice on the forend to move the stock in the direction you need to. The Brits seem to prefer hot oil, either poured directly on the stock, or on a towel that's then wrapped around the stock. You have to do this several times moving the stock a little each time.

Good luck,

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got some good advice. The method that seems to work involves hot oil. I have tried heat and it comes back.

I recently "bent" a forearm back on a rifle for a guy and used a different method. This stock had moved to the left when looking down on the barrel. I cut a groove down the forearm and then anchored a 4" piece of 1/4" rod so that that it was resting along the right side of the slot. The slot was probably 7/16" inch wide. I then made some shims by grinding washers so they had flats on opposite sides. I then used a chisel to wedge the stock away from the rod and installed about 4 of the washers in the space between the stock and the wall of the slot. The flats allowed the washers to sit below the barrel channel. The forearm is now centerd on the barrel. Next step is to glass in the remaining channel. I calculated that the rod weighed 2 ounces or so. The epoxy that will fill the remaing space will not make a lot of difference to the original weight.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote