Find
Notify
Tools

New Rifle Accuracy - Pretty is as Pretty does
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted
Took the Winchester out to range today for it's first pass. Loaded up 40 rounds in new W-W Super Plus-P brass with 110gr Nosler AccuBonds in front of 38grs of IMR4350 with Federal 210 Primer. Broke in the 3 groove Lilja as I usually do. Run a patch of Sweets thru and then dry patches after each shot for first 20. Takes time but the barrel seemed to attarct zero copper. After the first 20 and geting scope dialed in I shot next 20 rounds for groups. Even with my shooting and the wind which was from the rear and gusting to about 15mph or so I could not get a group larger than 1". Best 3 shot group was a whopping .283. Trigger is perfect and set at 3lbs. I think on a good day when I'm not so tired I can do that all day long. It was 100*F and I was tired since I had shot my double quite a bit looking for a regulating load. I'm diabetic and was getting pretty low on blood sugar which dooesn't make for good shooting which was why I was shooting 3 shot groups. Will take along some orange juice next time and go for 5 shot groups. I think I have a winner.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zimbabwe,
Take care of yourself. Diabetes is bad stuff. My Grandson has it and takes 4 shots a day. Hasn't slowed him down, but you have to keep a close watch on it.
Sounds like your rifle is shooting well.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Got to keep the glucose tabs handy. Believe me, I know all too well.

So, what're you gonna do, keep us guessing as to caliber? Big Grin

110 grains? Could be anything . . . Cool

I spent the day sighting in my Gibbs-Farquharson .275 Flanged (a/k/a 7x57R). Got it zeroed 2.25" high at 100 and 1" low at 200. With 175 grain Nosler Partitions at 2,400 fps.

Also printed a ten shot group with Federal .308 Gold Medal Match 168 grain rounds from my Savage 99 20 inch barreled carbine that was well inside 1.5" at 100 yards.

On the Saturday before Labor Day, the range was mine. Kinda sad, in a way.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, what're you gonna do, keep us guessing as to caliber? Big Grin

110 grains? Could be anything . . . Cool

See his "New Rifle" thread.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Charles.

So zim's wringing out his 7 with 110s and I'm sighting in mine with 175s.

Gotta love the 7. Wink

Mike

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I think the 7x57 is his old custom and the new one is a 257 Bob. But maybe I am just confused.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
I think the 7x57 is his old custom and the new one is a 257 Bob. But maybe I am just confused.

Nope. I'm the one who was confused. As always, you are too kind. But unlike some, I do appreciate it. thumb

It does seem to be the Bob.

I should have known. The lightest slugs I have seen loaded for the 7 have been the Barnes 120s.

They will scream, but I always like heavier bullets for caliber, pretty much across the board.

Thanks again, for the (much needed) assistance. Wink

Mike

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion,It is the 257 Roberts I just had built. The 7x57 also shoots good but not near this. I prefer heavy for caliber bullets and so I now want to try 120gr Partitions next. These AccuBonds are phenominal if this is their normal performace. Maybe it's the Lilja barrel,who knows I'm just pleased as punch with it,both from the looks,quality and accuracy departments.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I especially like that you went with a straight bolt handle on your Model 70. That is a very good looking (and shooting) rifle.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote