Find
Notify
Tools

.338 Lapua on a Savage 110 Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Folks,
On the Midway website I just saw a "drop -in" barrel in .338 Lapua ( 10 twist -24 inches long) for a Savage 110 Action. I know Savage chambers the .375 H&H but isn't the 110 just a bit short for such a behemoth cartridge as the .338 Lapua? I also wonder how much a 24 inch barrel would handicap this round? How much modification would have to be done to the bolt face, feed ramps etc. to make this particular application work?
Thanks for the input,
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that since the Savage is chambered in 300 RUM, they figured they could get the Lapua in there. Seeing as how the case is based on Rigby brass, you would need a new bolt head, magazine box (and I'm not sure that it would feed even then), as well as the barrel. You could probably do it up as a single shot if you wanted, though. A 338 Lapua in a 24" barrel is just a strong 338 Win Mag, not that that's a bad thing. It seems a little silly to me but what do I know? My 338 Lapua is in a Sako TGR-S, with a 26" barrel, and I really think it could use a little more barrel then that. The ballistics I get out of mine are just a fraction quicker then a 340 Wby, and with that big case, you would expect more. Factory ammo is a 250 gr bullet at 2750 fps, with handloads I can get 2950 +/- fps. I think this case needs to be improved, and you need a 30" barrel to really make it work. I'm still trying to find a replacement stock for the Sako, so perhaps I don't load for it and shoot it as much as I should, but I really expected more. Still, 340 Wby ballistics in a beltless case aren't bad, I guess. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they're barreling the 110 with a 338 Lapua chamber what's the difference between that and the Rem 700 chambered for this round? I know alot of people have reservation about it is why I ask. It's a single feed proposition to start but big deal. Can anyone tell me why the 110 would be any stronger for this chambering? I don't think it is, but I'm all ears. The casehead size is of main concern to many I believe.

Thanks.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote