New
Find
Notify
Tools

Globe front sight for hunters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The universe of globe front sight assembly options is relatively large - from Lyman 17s and 93s to sight assemblies used by BPCR shooters and competitors.

1. Within this universe which are more convenient to use on a hunting rifle? What I think I mean is that assemblies having bells & whistles such as bubble levels are probably less convenient for hunting while being expensive.

2. Within the smaller group of globe sight assemblies tending to be more convenient for hunting rifles, if there are assemblies - I probably mean sight bases?? - more robust, more likely to withstand being dropped or being banged against a boulder and maintain zero, please identify.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a Mossberg 22lr with the Lyman sight to hunt the ground squirrels in the vegetable garden. The insert with the round aperture worked well, quick to line up. Just put the little diggers head in the circle and it would become his halo.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark: Just put the little diggers head in the circle and it would become his halo.

Mark

HA! animal

-great lineSmiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My attempts with globe front sights on .22 hunting rifles was a wretched series of experiences.

Trying to hunt tree squirrels with them, I found that I could rarely if ever see the squirrels through the front globe alone, let alone through the reticule....particularly with the little 17-series. The whole front sight was just too small to see any of the surrounding area through it, making it very difficult to locate the squirrels through the sights.

At that time, I had 20/10 vision, too. You might be surprised how dark it becomes when trying to look up into a tree in a forest through that little sucker... If I was going to try it again, I'd recommend a BIG globe...at least the size of the Anschutz competition sights, with at least a 4.0 or 4.2 clear plexiglas aperture.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had light colored squirrels in the sunshine against a background of dark green leaves, a good contrast. I can see how finding one in the trees would be tough, it can be hard with a scope.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Globe sights on a hunting rifle SOUNDS like a good idea. In practice it really is a poor way to go. Listen to Alberta Canuck on this one. The globe does NOT pass enough light to enable you to acquire the target in any but the brightest conditions. Save your time and energy. BTDT years ago.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote