Find
Notify
Tools

part needed for '09 Argentine
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I need an ejector spring for a 1909 Argentine action. This is the gizmo that is fitted into bolt release doo-dad that pushes on the bolt slot ejector. Anybody got a spare one of these they could sell me? I've been told that this one might be different than a '98 action. I dunno, that's what I was told.

Please don't flame me for my lack of techno-speak. Last week I couldn't spell gunsmif, now I are one. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Matt---

I'm really curious... I've been around M-98s for forty-odd years and NEVER seen an ejector spring broken unless it was in the process of being screwed with.......how did your's happen?

The ejector *housing* is different on the 1903 Turk, 1909 Peruvian, 1909 Argentine and a couple others, but the springs are all the same. The housings and the springs were polished together at the arsenal and the only way to make them look right is to do the same.

I have a reblued 1909 Peruvian bolt stop box and spring that's had the extension ground off of it. If you want it send me an address and I'll send it for nothing. The spring is good but re-blued.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
JBelk,

I dunno how it broke. This is a very honest/matching and intact German '09 showed up at the local gunshop. I noticed the ejector wasn't pushed out far enough in the bolt slot to eject a case. Even tried it with a cartridge to be sure. So I watched as a more competent person removed the bolt stop assembly from the side of the action. He said the spring that provides the pressure on the ejector was broken. We dug around in a box of old mauser parts and found another indentical one that was broken too!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Ihance,
According to the diagram, it is part number 13 that is where the spring is located at. It is some kind of a "leaf" spring affair that needs to be driven out with a small punch.

<t_bob38>
posted
I'm curious too. It's obvious when that spring is broken, without removing the bolt stop assembly. I've only seen one broken, an FN commercial action, 220 Swift that blew up. I guess the gas got in it and blew it off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
Some years ago I lost all the small parts to an Argentine when UPS broke the package. I used a 98 ejector, spring, and bolt stop with no problems.

Finding an Argintine floorplate release, THAT was a problem.

Good luck.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
The part you're talking about is actually two leaf springs made together like a complicated "V" spring that fits into the bolt stop box by a "T" slot arrangement. Look at the front of the box and you'll see how they fit together.

The tail end of the bolt stop spring has to be supported in it's present postion when it's driven off to the front with a flat, brass punch. If not held up, the spring falls off it's perch and it's just about assured you'll screw it up trying to get it out. This is a job for three handed gunsmiths.

MAKE A JIG to hold the box and support the spring and the job is as simple as changing sights. Without a jig the spring is at risk.