THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN safety detent bearing needed. (Picture added)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I got a late model FN shroud and safety from one of the members. It is in fantastic shape. It still has the detent spring but is missing the ball bearing. Any thoughts on where I could find a bearing that small or steal one out of???

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
None of mune had a bearing, just a spring.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
None of mune had a bearing, just a spring.

I've got another with a spring and ball. Fits above the spring and then seats in the hole drilled in the shroud. Not critcal by any means but does make a good safety a better one. Since they tend to fall out when you take it apart I can sure see how they would get lost.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
My local hardware store has a selection of ball bearings from tiny to large. Check around your area.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think what you are looking for is a detent ball and give Brownell's a call and they can help you out I am sure. As pointed out, some local fastener/industrial supplier may well have what you are after, and for just one, probably give it to you.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Are you sure there was ever a ball in there? The one I had was a spring with a radius metal shim.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you sure there was ever a ball in there? The one I had was a spring with a radius metal shim

I have no clue if this one actual had a ball or not. I just compared it to the one I have that has the spring, ball and detent hole. I Miced the spring and it measured 2mm. I stopped by the Ace on my way home and they didn't have anything that small. I can pick them up on ebay for $1.95 for 10 and $2 shipping. I would spend more than that in gas looking so I'll just order them.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Low mount safties come with just a spring to provide tension so the lever doesn't just flop around. I can't imagine what the little ball would do since there isn't a detent inside the tunnel for the ball to lock into. However, an auto parts store should have a variety of little balls. They are used as check valves in various carburators and such.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just want to show what I was talking about. The shroud on the left is from a 1949 vintage FN. It had a military style 3 position safety. The shroud on the right is from a later FN take off. I don't know the exact date but I do have a late 50s FN with exactly the same shroud and safety. The spring in the safety lever is below the surface and doesn't contact the shroud. You can see there is a hole drilled in the shroud that allows a ball(my 50s FN has the ball in place) to detent when the safety is in the on position as well as provide pressure to keep the safety tight.

Since these are the only 3 shrouds I have on hand I have no clue if the right one is common to later FNs or not.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Can't say I have ever seen one drilled like that. Not particularly a bad idea though.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote