New
Find
Notify
Tools

Completed Montana Rifle project
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I completed this rifle about three weeks ago for a client. Specs are as follows:
Caliber 280. Remington, Action by Montana Rifle Co., Stock originally from Boyd's, Talley rings, Custom bases, Burris scope.
The action was trued by facing, (which was very good to start with) lapping the lugs and bolt and recontouring the base mounting surfaces. It is a standard hot blue with differing types of surface preperation.
The stock is an unfinished M70 semi-inlet from Boyd's. I know that there has been a lot of print over the quality of Boyd's, but I use their unfinished stocks as a basic building block. This one has been altered from the forend tip all the way to the cheekpiece. The forend was made longer with the addition of a very finely marbled piece of Macasser ebony. It was then thinned back through the action area. the action itself was inlet about 3/16" further into the stock than normal with allowed me to correct any machining problems with the blank. I then shortened the magazine with allows for a trimmer looking rifle and also feels good in the hand.
The top tang area is then sculpted to give a more graceful sweep into the pistol grip area. The pistol grip itself is swept back even further into a Dakota two screw grip cap. The grip cap area has had the angle changed in relation to the toe of the stock and also been shortened somewhat; which it can be because as you open up the grip, the front length as also gets longer. The studs are Talleys, the pad is a Decelerator.
After sanding, etc. the stock was lightly stained with a reddish base in the Winchester style and topped off with a hand rubbed oil finish.
The bases are built from my basic Winchester bases. Initial reports are that it shoots as good as it looks.

t

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ 07-16-2003, 08:49: Message edited by: Michael S. ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael:
That's a handsome rifle. Where did you get the stock?

BigBrass

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the action finish?? Teflon or just a matte/blasted and blued? I'm bringing my 99 to the gunsmith for barrelling Thurs. Nice piece.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Too bad the bolt is on the wrong side.

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Ya know Toomanytools they do make em with bolts on the other side! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Matter-o-fact I ordered a PH series for my buddy David. Going to have a matching pair of 404 Jefferies!

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael S.-

She's a beauty!!! Can't wait to read the details although those pictures are like putting a jigger of the finest single malt scotch in front of intemparate man.

Rusty - I too have a PH on order; from a fellow Texican, where is Missouri City? I would be interested in comparing notes with you.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job Michael. It is good seeing finished projects on this action. In particular after all the hullaballoo of late. I like the way Bill Leeper put it:

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
I want to emphasize that these actions are intended to be a somewhat better M70 action at a reasonable price. I think they are that and more.

It seems to me that these actions are great foundations for a custom project - at a very reasonable cost, and with better quality than most factory actions. With a bit of work (much less than most actions), the results should be first class. You are part of the proof, Michael.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the barrel from MRC also?

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael S.:
The action was trued by facing, (which was very good to start with) lapping the lugs and bolt

Oops, forgot to ask: did you polish the action - other than what you specified above?? (Or is surface grind the right term?? Pardon a layman!) I.e. is the surface of the action, as seen on your pictures, as it came from the factory??

How was the bolt travel from factory. If it needed slicking up, how long did it take to achieve a good result??

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Mark,
We are located near Sugar Land SW of Houston off US59. Please email me any time!

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I forgot the barrel info. the barrel is a Douglas which is what I use for 90% of my projects. I have used others upon request, but Douglas are still very concentric after shortening the length. I have used other well known makers which are not near as true upon shortening. My other favorite barrel is Lothar-Walther.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael S., That rifle turned out real well. Where are you located in AZ?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
I like the matte finish on the action. Most of the M 70's that I have are finished that way and matte is in as far as scopes go.

Are you going to checker the stock?

Did you list the rifles weight without the scope?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael-

Which bedding technique did you use, pillar or other?

Thanks in advance.

Rusty-

I hope all is well with you on account of the weather.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage-

Good point! The way the rifle is finished, i.e. receiver being matte and the rest polished and/or satin, is reminicent of Pre 64's.

Very well done!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice job!!!!!!! Looks like a quality rifle, can't wait for the specs.........

Frank D

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice lines between action, base, rings and scope. RNS

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that I have not yet had the privilige to try an MRC barrel.

To answer more action prep questions: 1) I cleaned up the ejection port and right rail since no machining had been done in that area of the casting. This was done by Dremel tool and hand fileing, stoning. The receiver was faced on a mandrel, the lugs were lapped with a fixture in the threads and then the bolt ways were gently lapped using the bolt itself and some compound. No hand stoning was done to the left way in order to keep costs down. The rear bridge/bolt passage was also lapped.

I don't believe any checkering will be applied as the owner is quite happy with it as it is. I will have to check on the weight, I have forgotten the amount.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you finish your laminate stocks? -- if you don't mind me asking. Thanks Larry b.

Posts: 37 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Could anyone tell me why the pics are not there (only red x's) on my screen? [Frown]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

Nice work!!!!! How would you rate the quality of the action? Compared to a Remington Savage or Winchester Action?

[ 07-17-2003, 09:08: Message edited by: Agunner012 ]

Posts: 38 | Location: NY | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking but I would do two things. First, for me, I'd like a nice checkering pattern and second, I would add a little more bevel to the wood at the ejection port..not much, just a little. Just my personal preferences as she looks damn nice the way she is.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, nice rifle alright.
I have to say, though, you got that stock perfect.
Perfect. EP bevel looks fine to me, that grip is exactly my tastes, and I really like the top leading edge of the butt. That pronounced angle gives it "presence."
Think I'll go look at it some more. [Big Grin]

[ 07-17-2003, 11:55: Message edited by: Bwana-be ]

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Droooooooool [Big Grin]

Please don't post anymore photos, I don't need to buy another rifle [Razz] The barrels not 24" is it? I bet it weighs 8.5 pounds too [Roll Eyes] Mustn't look !!!! I don't need a new rifle.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Nice work! [Smile] Your pictures have shown everyone what a good action can be in the hands of a artisan. With a little hand work polishing and your own special touches you have created a work of art. Thank you for posting the pictures for all to see. I look forward to seeing more pictures of our actions put together for everyone to see. Again Thanks a million!

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentleman: In logging in this morning it seems that I had forgotten to answer some of your questions.

Mark, thanks for your note on the weather. It has been hot!! I am located down here in Yuma, Az. Sunny days 24/7, 365 a year. Home to the only (I believe) Marine Air Station that the Marines operate. Also home to Yuma Proving Grounds, the miltary's nastest place to test equipment for desert warfare.

I did "sharpen up" the top contour of the action by draw filing and stoneing.

There are differing opinions on glass bedding and I use all of them, but... all of my hunting rifles are always glass bedded from "stem to stern" and top to bottom. This also includes the barrel channel and the bottom metal. The mag well area is always sealed with the stock finish on insert type mags, i.e. MRC type.

Many thanks for your questions and good words. I will be back tonight with barrel length, weight, and requested action opinions.

Back to work......Michael