New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dehorning 1911?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting ready to refinish a 1911 (Robar NP3) and was looking at melting some of the sharp edges. Basicly there are a couple spots that will draw blood and eat holes in my clothes. Would I use a file and followup with paper or is there another method?

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
That's pretty much what I did.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Todd---

Just send it to any idiot with a buffer!!

Your's is the most disheartning post I've ever read.

For two years I've tried to educate readers here about the beauty of flat, square, sharp surfaces and now you want to round them off!!

I'm crushed!! [Confused]

All in fun.......I'm sure you must be joking. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
A COMBAT HANDGUN should feel like a well used bar of soap.
I think Jeff Cooper said that.???
Pay particular attention to the ejection port, outside of the slide [near the rails], and the triggerguard and the front of the frame [dust cover]. Also the grip safety and de-horn the hammer. The magwell is probably funnelled, but check the "slot" where the magazine foot fits. Also the front of the slide, that will make it easier to holster smoothly and will not gouge leather from the inside of your hoslter.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
quote:
A COMBAT HANDGUN should feel like a well used bar of soap.

And just like that bar of soap, you should not drop it! Sorry, could not resist. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I packed one stuck in my belt for a number of years with DEA...About the only sticky itchy nagging spot was the grip safty, it goughed a calous in my hip but the calous solved that problem...It ate on the big knuckle of my thumb sometimes when I shot it..You could knock off the edge corners on that...

The worst packing gun you can carry is a tricked out 45 ACP, when they get through adding all that junk it hurts unless your a holster person..I only had a trigger job, fitted bushing, throated, open ejection port, no target sights just military, and well tested for feed and function with 240 Gr. Federal H.P, on a carry gun. My Browning HP was set up the same way except I had a set of burried S&W J frame sights and I rounded the sight blade on it. Sharp edges tear up suit coats and pink skin.

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Todd C,

I use a fine file and stone to knock the sharp edges off carry guns. You can use emory cloth and a file to knock these down if you would like. The object is to dull the sharp obnoxious edges anyway possible without affecting function.

Usually the bottom outside edge of the slide and rear corners get knocked down along with the entire front end as well as the complete 360 degree bottom area of the grip.

Sights are another serious snag waiting to draw blood or hang up at the worst possible moment so the front and rear sights get knocked down as well.

Insert the gun into a pair of your wifes nylon stockings, preferably when she's not wearing them, then push and pull the gun through them. You should beable to see where the major snag points are from this little demo.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk-dont worry I will keep my rifle stocks and metal work nice and square but I carry the 1911 about 50 hours a week so Ill take rounded edges every time [Smile]

Ray-I guess you are almost as old as your experience indicates, I had heard of some old colt gold cups with J frame sights but the pictures were black and white. [Smile]

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Ray, you echo my sentiments exactly. I carry a 1911 more than any other handgun, and after much experimentation with various levels of "tricked-out", I'm convinced that the simplest 1911 you can carry is the most comfortable, practical, reliable, and tasteful way to go.

One of the best pistolsmiths around who is turning out some incredibly fine (and simple!) 1911s is Ted Yost in Chino Valley, AZ. Here's his website:

www.tedyostguns.com

Check out the "projects" section!

AD

one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
JBelk......a 1911, or any pistol for that matter, is supposed to bite who the owner wants it to bite....but not the owner!!! [Razz] I carry a modestly 'enhanced' Colt (70 series of course!!!) Lt Weight Commander every day, and have done so for about 15 years. I can tell you that dehorning a 1911 that is intended to be carried is the #1 best thing for comfort!

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ToddC, Meltdown is up to the man that owns the weapon. I guess if it were a newer type gun it would be OK but I don't like the looks and there is really no reason for it other than a personel want. I carry a tricked out ser 70 colt commander that the only outward changes are Novak low ramp nite sites and custom grips. It shoots great and looks very classy. Good luch with your project. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A properly modified 1911 is the best combat handgun bar none.
A good example of a "Melted, dehorned" factory pistol is the Glock. Todd C, go take a look at the Glock to see how they "melted" it. With the exception if the ejection port Gaston Glock did a good job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 no2, yes but Glock forgot to wipe the soot off [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most amazing melt job I have ever seen was done by Clark Custom Guns, it's expensive as hell, but so smooth.
 -

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DanD
That is a fine looking pistol, and since it is a "Clark" I know it shoots good too. They are nice people.

<JBelk>
posted
Dan D--

All I can say is, 'What a shame'. I don't think that one can be restored. [Smile]

It's all a matter of what you like, I guess. That gun would be a hundred dollar offer for parts in my book.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dehorning should be done gracefully and professionally. I recall seeing a guy offering a Norinco 1911 for sale, the guy removed blueing and simply buff it till it is shiny and rounded, the machining marks and high/low spots were not removed with stone or file so it simply is a gun with uneven, shiny surface and uneven rounded corners. Pure non-gunsmith garage work. The owner boasts "professionally done" [Mad] and wants good dollars for it(shudder).

Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best ole 1911 I own is one Armond built for me back in 68 it started life as a 1911a1 and I had him build it in 38super cut down ambi-saftey as only he could do it and K-frame S&W sights installed and rounded off

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I just don't understand. I hvae cranked out thousands of rounds of 45ACP in several 1911a1's and have found that fabled "army mule kick" nor have I ever been bitten by one. I guess my old Sarge just taught me how to hold it right.lol derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by derf:
I'm afraid I just don't understand. I hvae cranked out thousands of rounds of 45ACP in several 1911a1's and have found that fabled "army mule kick" nor have I ever been bitten by one. I guess my old Sarge just taught me how to hold it right.lol derf

derf,

Being able to hold the weapon correctly, and firing thousands of rounds into paper is not quite the same as drawing and firing 1 round in defense of ones life.

"He/she, who places their first round on target the fastest, wins". Breaking and polishing the sharp edges is thought to reduce the "draw time" by eliminating anything that could snag or otherwise cause a delay in delivering that first all important round.

Eliminating such snags has a secondary benefit in that it makes the weapon much more clothing friendly when carried tucked inside trousers or other areas.

Malm

posted Hide Post
I love 1911 pistols. For a carry 1911, I think it is mandatory to break the sharp edges on the gun. The Clark Meltdown is a little extreme but thats the general idea. I have a 1911 that I really like the dehorning work that was done. The lines are still straight, it doesn't have a melted look, but when you run your fingers over the edge it does not catch or abrade. It is done just right. I think if was done with a file and emery sticks. The right places were done, too. The bottom edge of the slide, the ejection port, the mag well funnel, slide stop, the grip safety and hammer. I have had others dehorned, but you can see uneven lines, or missed areas. I can tell it takes concentration and attention to detail to do it right. A 1911 doesn't have to be radically dehorned to get the effect that is needed.

Cheers,
Damon

Posts: 3 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malm; Your first paragraph is oh so true and I hope I never have to go there. But if necessary I can and would. The 45's that I used and tried were all Mil-surp so there weren't many sharp edges. You all are going to love this next bit,While dabbling in IPSC I decided to try my Deserted Eagle in 44RM just for fun. That night and subsequent nights when I brought it out I was able to get much closer to the scores of the real IPSC boys,one of whom became a champion shooter. I didn't improve all that much. It was the noise and flames from the DE. It really put the other guys off their stride.lol derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dehorning this?
 -

Nope,I carry a Glock or a .357 snubby.

Posts: 81 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DanD, That damn thing looks like a 3 month old bar of soap, not a 1911. [Big Grin] Each to their own I guess.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is they have never melted down enough Glocks to suit me! [Razz]

We are all built different and have different requirments, a fat man needs a melted gun and a thin man can get by with a factory 45..A thin hand does not need an extended tang grip safty, he can get by with it as is from the factory, a fat hand needs the protection but it will gouge the hell out of your hip if you use the Mexican border carry which is all I would ever use for a number of good reasons...and still do. length of fingers, grip style etc. makes us all individual so do what YOU like not what others like..

In my long career in DEA and Narcotics I never had a quick draw situation occur, the other guys had that situation to deal with, my gun was in my hand and I was faster than they were...

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I'd like to hear more about your reasons for Mexican carry. It seems like most of the "experts" frown on it. What's your opinion?

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What experts?? and what are their qualifications.

first let me say that we all carried 1911 autos or Browning H.P. with a few other mixes because they are flat, hold more ammo and don't have the double action long pull..The exception was the Chiefs Special and it carried well in this fashion and is ultra concealable..I will also add that the short barreled 1911 compacts of today do not carry well in the pants but you can shorten the butt for better concealment.

As a DEA Agent and a U.S.Customs agent most of us used the Mexican carry because:

1. It is the only way in a undercover op. Only Det. and policeman carried holsters. The bad guys carried the Mexican way also.

2. the gun is more concealable carried butt forward on the right hip in your pants, cocked and locked an empty chamber never left anyone alive...

3. for surveillance purposes you may have to get out of the car on foot and follow your suspect and you often choose to leave your gun in the car and you don't have time to be undressing. Getting out, taking off your belt holster etc takes too much time and it 10 minutes have to put it back on...this could happen 20 times a day if the guy is bar hoping or shoping.

4. In a hot climate (on the Texas border) you can carry under your shirt. A holster shows.

5. When operating in Mexico you may need to ditch the gun under the seat if the police stop you for a traffic infraction...

6. Some clothing does not dictate the use of belts and belts show a sag unless they are heavy and the criminal element can spot a holstered gun in a heartbeat...

7. Shoulder holsters are taboo in the narcotics business...

8. Some chose the inside the belt holsters at first but the first time you jerk your gun out at a suspect and it still has the holster on it, you will nix that idea or the first time it hangs us and you can't get the gun out you will ditch it...I have had both happen and seen it happen to others...

9. We all had boxes of holsters of every kind, I still do but I just chose not to use them and still don't except when I'm hunting with a handgun..

If your a Homicide or Burglary det. then I doubt if it makes that much difference and most City det. wear holsters except for vice and Narcotics...this is just what comes to mind off the top of my head...

I don't recall any of the Border agents carrying holsters often...Some did in the winter but most just stuck them in their belt as stated as do the Mexican police and they (the Mexicans) are the experts in a gun fight..Pray and spray and they always win in a hail of lead..

Thats my case, but the final choice is up to the pistol packer himself, as long as it does not interfere with business....We didn't tell each other what clothes to wear or what gun to carry or how to carry it, but we must have been in complete accord, we considered ourselves to be the experts, not some gun writer or quasi officeando..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, truer words were never spoken.
Sometimes getting caught with your gun is almost as bad as getting caught without it.

For those of you carrying pistols under somewhat less demanding circumstances than the type of undercover work Ray has described, but still want near maximum concealability, comfort and security try an inside the pants holster by Milt Sparks, G. Davis, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW, I would have never imagined dehorning a 1911 would draw so many side notes. Basicly I was looking at just touching up some of the sharp edges since I was having it refinished. The same sharp edges have been eating holes in clothes for years but I just kept putting it off. I agree with some posters that you dont want to add to much crap to the 1911 but if it helps hand position on the draw (beavertail grip safety) or lets you make a clean draw because it didnt snag your shirt then have at it. It is nice to have a gun in your hand to start with but that hasnt always been my experience, I have needed a "quick draw" as a means of creating space in tight quarters and vehicles. One of the easiest means of having a quick draw is having the gun in the same position for each draw, not flopping around somewhere in your pants. I agree with Ray that a holster can be a problem if you need to ditch a gun in Mexico (been there done that) but otherwise I will take a good holster everytime. I have seen to many guns lost on the street from running, jumping fences and getting out of cars. Nothing like fighting with a suspect and hearing your buddies gun hit the ground. Or better yet you find a gun on the ground after a fight, seize it as evidence and then two hours later one of the guys on the arrest team ask if anyone has seen his Glock....
Thanks for the responses I will try to post pictures when I get it back. I went for NP3 on the internals and black Roguard on the external stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Thanks for the response. I very deliberately put the word "experts" in quotation marks when I said they frowned on Mexican carry [Smile]

I always prefer to hear from people who actually DO things for a living, instead of people who just write about it.

The few times I've played around with Mexican carry I found a disturbing tendency for the gun to migrate around a little and end up somewhere other than where I wanted it. How do you deal with this problem? Tighten your belt a little?

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,
Several ways to stop that miagrating pistol, one being a tight pair of Wranglers and the other and probably a better solution is a clip that fits under the 1911 grip and it has a clip that runs down towards the trigger on the frame that clips on the pants or belt....

I have never experienced that problem when the gun is carried butt forward deep on the right hip as the grip stabalizes the gun..This works for me with the 19ll, Browning HP, and the Chiefs Special with a rubber band wrapped around the grip..The old rubber band trick works on the autos as well...

The old rubber band trick is my favorite, the gun won't slip, at least I have never had that problem...worn any other position it is iffy at best that the gun will hold IMO. I knew some agents that temporarly turned the gun around when approaching a situation...I can get a pistol into action plent fast from this carry position, as fast as an open holster..I too have had to draw it and stop and action on many ocassions, but never got into a Hollywood movie showdown fast draw contest..The San Antonio DEA office at one point in time averaged 7 gun shooting incidents a week over a period of one year, thats a very high figure on a Nation wide survey...Some of these were simply shooting out a tire or firing a warning shot that was cceptable at one time for Feds and still is for Texas Law Enf who can also shoot a fleeing felon, I suppose thats still true by law but perhaps not policy...It was/or is a good law.

Over the years it has become a very acceptable method of carry with the border law enforcement agents and police from Brownsville to California as well as all of the Mexican officials...

But again I say, to each his own, your an adult and don't need to be told how to do something, it is your responsibility to protect your life and if your wrong, its your fault, no one elses.
Every officer that gets shot is because he made a mistake, I feel strongly about that. Don't argue that point with examples as I am sure there are some, but they are few legitamate instances where it could not have been prevented...One being hesitation through fear of your own dept. and I rate that the number l reason for officers being shot. But thats off the subject.

one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Ray,

"Every officer that gets shot is because he made a mistake, I feel strongly about that. Don't argue that point with examples as I am sure there are some, but they are few legitamate instances where it could not have been prevented...One being hesitation through fear of your own dept. and I rate that the number l reason for officers being shot. But thats off the subject."

I could not agree more!!! I remember feeling that way for the first few years of my LE career.....now...I don't worry so much about what the department is going to do.

BTW...this is and has been my duty and sometimes off-duty pistol for the last 10 years or so. Not a major melt job...it just has the sharp edges broken. It needs refinishing...the 'Black-T' didn't wear as well as Mr. Birdsong reported!
 -  -
It's a pre 70 series (made in the late 60's) Lt. Weight Commander.....45 ACP of course!!! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Well.....my pics were up for all of 30 minutes! GREAT [Mad]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that keeps my shooting budget affordable is a 1911 that bites chunks out of the web of my hand. [Smile]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Another way to stop the gun from moving around is the old string trick. Using a thick string or piece of rawhide lace, tie it to two pant loops, tuck it into the pants and use it to "holster" the gun. [Wink]
I've been in military security and law enforcement for a number of years. Both my kids are currently in law enforcement. My daughter, all 5'4", size 3, of her ran the drug division of a Colorado department. She used the string trick with a Glock .40. Asked why she wanted to carry the .40, she replied: "Because the department won't let me carry a .45 ACP!" The range officer asked her whether she'd ever fired one.
Her reply, "My Dad taught me with semiwadcutters at the age of eight. By age 12, I was shooting Hardball." [Big Grin] Smartalecky little brat.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smartalecky little brat
We could use a few more of those...

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote