but I was allowed to snap a few pics.

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's called a lathe and it looks like it's chambering a barrel ! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
That lathe was old when Christ was in diapers.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you mean thats not one of them CNC thingys I read about? Smiler

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Not to disparage the guy's work, but indicating the outside of the barrel is useless. For that kind of precision, why bother using a spider at all?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Not to disparage the guy's work, but indicating the outside of the barrel is useless. For that kind of precision, why bother using a spider at all?

There you go again, being rational.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From that picture, I find it very difficult to determine, with any degree of certainty, how the barrel was indicated. Am I missing something?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The short threads on the barrel shank suggest that the barrel is going on a Mauser.
One doesn't need to get too fussy about barrels going on Mausers. Now, if it were going on a BAT, Nesika, Kelbly's, Stiller, Hart, or other custom action or a blueprinted Remingtion, a much higher level of machining expertise would be called for.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
OMJ, you're probably right. It's just a new barrel possibly going on a Mauser. How good does it have to be... Roll Eyes

Eddie, I was going by the presence of the dial and stand at the back end of the machine, along with the barrel extending beyond the table, putting the bore out of reach for that particular set up, along with the use of a spider. I just assumed that's how he had set up that end.

I don't fault the guy for not spending much time dialing in that end of the barrel as I pretty much ignore the muzzle end myself when chambering through the head stock. I just thought it odd that someone who isn't using some type of a floating reamer holder would be indicating that end of the barrel in the first place and the O.D. at that. That's all I was commenting on.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OMJ:
The short threads on the barrel shank suggest that the barrel is going on a Mauser.
One doesn't need to get too fussy about barrels going on Mausers.

Maybe in your shop. When I'm working on somebody else's stuff they all get the same attention to detail.

Westpac, I dial'em in like you do when in the headstock. The chamber end gets dialed in dead nuts perfect and sometimes the muzzle is waving at you. I try not to let customers see that as it's sometimes hard to explain to their satisfaction.
I use one of Greg Tannels holders. What do you use? Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Some of what I was told was over my head. I did hear that the chamber end was indicated on the bore not the outside of the barrel.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me as if the indicator is just sitting there and not on the barrel--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Jim, I use the PT&G Bald Eagle. I worry more about the first 8 or so inches than anything else. Yes Dustoffer, it's just sitting there. Usual practice is to remove the indicator when chambering.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I had to. . . .

This is one of those CNC Thingys

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim White and Westpac, what is deadnuts? How do you indicate and how do you hold it in the lathe?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That lathe is so old...

it was reaming barrels before gunpowder was invented.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old doesn't mean squat. Worn out does. One nice thing about that older lathe unlike so mnay of its counterparts is that it has a short headstock and apparently a large spindle bore. You can actually chamber through the headstock.

It's more about the operator than the equipment. The best equipment in the hands of an idiot is worthless.

And to be fair, I can't tell from the pic if he is really indicating off the OD. If so, bad choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it odd that no one has commented on the fact that the gear-train cover has been removed. This is a REAL nasty accident waiting to happen. My South Bend never gets operated with the cover open. Particularly in back-gear drive, those gears will slice off a finger like it was butter!

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i wish i had a clue how to do work like this. i love this forum, i learn something new every day.
james

Posts: 74 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 22 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He probably removed the cover so he could install the spider. Some lathes have the hole in the cover only slightly larger than the spindle hole. I enlarged the cover hole on my 13x40 so I could leave the cover and spider both in place. Saves a lot of work and time. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Looks to me as if the indicator is just sitting there and not on the barrel--

That's what I was thinking, it was just placed there to get it out of the way when not in use.

It doesn't look like there's any other place in that shop to store it.
Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OMJ, Mauser not fussy ?? In gunsmithing school they told us that properly the barrel is machined to have a snug thread and index on both shoulders !....Rusty , where does the barrel go in that THING ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is using a JGS floating reamer holder. The old Southbend lathe with good and properly fitted headstock bushings can do an excellent barrel job. You can chamber in the headstock with worn out ways with no effect on the chamber job.
That being said, I do not chamber that way.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Jim White and Westpac, what is deadnuts? How do you indicate and how do you hold it in the lathe?
Butch

An indicator rod is inserted into the chamber end of the barrel which is held in a 4 jaw chuck. 6 or 8 inches of the rod sticks out and I put two indicators against the rod that read to .0005. When there is no movement on the dial when the barrel is rotated it is deemed to be "dead nuts" It doesn't much matter what the muzzle end is doing as the chamber will be perfect with this method. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Butch

Butch, I never use the term "deadnuts", but, it is a good one to define a 0.000 reading. Big Grin

Oh yeah almost forgot, if I have to use the headstock for chambering, I put a 1/4 round wire ring between the jaws of my 4 jaw chuck and the cylinder portion of the barrel. That ring being round, contacts a very small portion of the barrel which makes it a breeze to adjust the spider to correct the lateral alignment at the chamber end without the full length of the chucks jaw to contend with. Like gripping the barrel with the tips of your fingers instead of the whole hand. Works really slick.

My preferred way to do the job is with the roller bearing steady rest, using the 4 jaw, and ring, at the muzzle, to set lateral alignment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
th desk is messy, too... anything else, guys?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
th desk is messy, too... anything else, guys?

What desk? Big Grin

At least he has one, I don't.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you think that is messy you must have OCD

one of us
posted Hide Post
look at the photo, guys. It is a 6-jaw chuck used with a floating reamer holder. You cannot indicate anything in on a 6-jaw chuck. Normally a good one runs very true -- close to collet accuracy. It is not possible, however, to indicate the breech with this setup.

That is not to say that you cannot do excellent work in a setup like this. I personally prefer to hold the muzzle in the chuck and the breech in the steady rest, but, as I say, that is just my personal preference.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clemson:
look at the photo, guys. It is a 6-jaw chuck used with a floating reamer holder. You cannot indicate anything in on a 6-jaw chuck. Normally a good one runs very true -- close to collet accuracy. It is not possible, however, to indicate the breech with this setup.

That is not to say that you cannot do excellent work in a setup like this. I personally prefer to hold the muzzle in the chuck and the breech in the steady rest, but, as I say, that is just my personal preference.

Clemson

There were/are several makers of 6 jaw chucks that allow fine adjustment. Buck still makes one and Burnerd used to, are they still around?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep. Those are the "Set-True" type. I think the one pictured is a conventional scroll chuck without the set-true feature.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have that chuck in hand, but it sure looks to be a "set-tru" type to me. Buck, Bison and a host of imports sell both 3 and 6 jaw scroll chucks with this adjustable feature.

If you look at the chuck, you can see the backplate is smaller than the chuck, and the chuck body has two parts. The front part holds the jaws and the scroll, the back part has the 4 adjustment screws for moving the body on the backplate. The pinion is not visible, but sits between the back and body of the chuck and would be at least twice as large as those visible adjustiing screws. The pinion drives the scroll to close all jaws evenly around the work, then the 4 screws can be adjusted to "center" the work to get as close to zero runout as you can measure.

I don't understand why the 6 jaw chuck? The major advantage of these is with thin walled tubing. They are no more or less accurate, they just spread the clamping force over a larger area to grip delicate tubing better.

That lathe is capable of very acurate work, and while old, is newer than any of the 4 I currently have. The only question I have is why the drill chuck in the floating holder? Why not set up the reamer directly in the holder, maybe with a small brass collar if not the correct size?

Taht shop looks like it was "cleaned up" for a picture; much neater than mine. No chips in the lathe pan, nice orderly workbench. Maybe OCD or just plain neatnick! (actually I am jealous of what I consider the luxtury of taking the time to clean and organize).

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because I'd eventually like to learn to do this...

Is there anything actually wrong with using three jaws in a six jaw buck chuck, indicating off the breech bore, and a floating reamer?

Thanks,

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look at JGS catalog, you will see a chuck in their floating reamer holder.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Lambert and others

Help me out here, I get the feeling I am missing something simple. I don't understand how one can hold a reamer in what looks to be a three jaw drill chuck? The reamers I have either have a square or two flats. I have seen reamers driven with a center or "contained" and floating in a loose drill chuck, but then you would not be using the floating holder.

I am sure JGS and others know what they are doing, I just don't understand.

To me a fitted bushing or collar would be needed for the jaws to grab. If so, why not fit that bushing to the holder?

I know there are always many ways to "correctly" do machine work. I am not trying to be arguementative or difficult, I just trying to understand and learn. I appreciate your patients with my lack of understanding. I haven't bought any reamers for several years, and I don't have the curent catalogs to search. I was not able to find a picture of the reamer holder on the web site for the JRS catalog, but I do note they sell it with and without the chuck.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
My catalog shows the pic. The chuck as shown above is on the end of the floating reamer holder. My reamers are round and would fit in a check. I do not use a JGS or any other other floating reamer holder. My home made setup is similar to the Bald Eagle pusher. I have an anodized piece of round aluminum that slides over the reamer with a set screw in the side that works on one of the flats on the reamer. It has a short handle coming off of it to hold to. I turned a piece that looks like a car valve that fits in the chuck in the tailstock as a pusher. I have and do not use a Clymer floating holder. I just like what I'm using at the present.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that George B's shop?

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Yes. I had no ideal is was such a big deal. It's gonna be a 7x57.. Installed on a Polish Radom? small ring large thread. Not the best of choices so I'm told. George has a Logan for sale if anyone wants to pick it up fishing

quote:
Originally posted by yeti:
Is that George B's shop?