Find
Notify
Tools

New cam style custom scope rings
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I bought these from a fellow AR member Darrall Ragar AKA: katiesguns. These are a lot like the ones Tom Burgess made many moons ago but with a few changes. He calls them Simba rings. After trying them I can tell you they are very well made and probably the nicest I've ever seen. They're just the ticket for Mausers as the rings unlock with only a 1/4 turn. Another nice thing is they're infinitely adjustable. I talked with Darrall on the phone about these. He makes them for Talley bases and CZ 550 actions. He has them in 1" and 30mm. They only come in one height which I would say falls between a low and medium Tally. They aren't cheap but they're are very nice.

Just thought others might like to know.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

They look great but I must admit not quite so attractive as the Warnes you sold me!

Can you tell me what the ring height is for the CZ550 30mm. The talleys are dissapointingly 0.5" which would near fit a 56mm objective...

Should be getting that gorgeous 270 ZG (the one at Cabelas you alerted me to) in 2 weeks time. I have your rings and a scope waiting!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yea, those Warnes I sold you are rare birds for sure.

I'm not sure about the CZ rings. I'll send Darrell an email and tell him his assistance is needed.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I bought these from a fellow AR member Darrall Ragar AKA: katiesguns. These are a lot like the ones Tom Burgess made many moons ago but with a few changes. He calls them Simba rings. After trying them I can tell you they are very well made and probably the nicest I've ever seen. They're just the ticket for Mausers as the rings unlock with only a 1/4 turn. Another nice thing is they're infinitely adjustable. I talked with Darrall on the phone about these. He makes them for Talley bases and CZ 550 actions. He has them in 1" and 30mm. They only come in one height which I would say falls between a low and medium Tally. They aren't cheap but they're are very nice.

Just thought others might like to know.

Terry

Thats a fine looking rifle you have.
What is it?

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
It's a 1909 Argentine in 9.3X62

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
I have a set of very similar rings on a Model 70 that were made by Morris Melani. Morris's rings had a tab on the side that locked into a corresponding slot on the base. He used to have a metalsmithing shop in Utah that went under. The rings were a sideline. He ended up in Alaska and no longer makes them. Those do look nice. I mentioned them to Tom B once and he asked me if they were made with a walking parallelogram design. And of course in my infinite understanding, I said WTF???? And Tom explained how his rings were made like a ever so slightly tilted box so that that under recoil the leading edge actually bites into the scope (also ever so slightly to not leave marks of course) and keep the scope from slipping. Another either of his genius designs or an big joke on me, but somehow I would vote for the genius part.

I also have a set of Tom rings. The quarter turn thing is wonderful.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
I believe he stopped by my table at the ACGG show a couple of years ago. I lost his contact information.....glad you posted the pics, they look real nice.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Chic, I know what you mean. I've shared a few emails with Mr. Burgess. He can give you that Forrest Gump feeling real quick
homer

Shane, I have his contact info if you ever need it.

He said he'll be at the Tulsa gun show in a few weeks if anybody wants to see them in person. It's nice to know there are a few more options out there in the custom market.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
TC: Your right, they are nice looking rings. I took a peek at them last year at the Tulsa show and they are well made. Did'nt get a price, or don't recall...like that hardly ever happens! I did pick up one of his cards so i have the info also. Have you tried the zero test with them? May just stop at his table and have a chat with him this weekend at the show!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
No, I just got them.

One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
Those do look familiar.

[/IMG]

Burgess rings

Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I gotta ask... What is the price range?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Elmer:
Those do look familiar.

[/IMG]

Burgess rings

Wayne E.

Wayne

Real nice set of rings. Where did you get em?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Wayne

My guess would be Mr. Burgess Roll Eyes

Sorry Kev, I couldn't help it rotflmo

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Wayne

My guess would be Mr. Burgess Roll Eyes

Sorry Kev, I couldn't help it rotflmo

Terry

Terry

My guess would be me. That looks like the pair I purchased from Tom when I visited him in his shop a few years ago.