New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30win to .307
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone ever do a conversion in a single shot for 30-30 win to .307 ? I am toying with the idea that would be very easy for a handi-rifle and it would sure beat the ackley inprove version of the 30-30. I have everything to do this ( .308 chamber reamer is it ) I was just wondering if I have forgotten any downside to this change. Any and all coments welcome!! bill 439

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bill

The 307 is a high pressure cartridge, Winchester designed a beefed up action for this cartridge.

You would be much better off selling your rifle and buying a factory version.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only "downside" I can think of is you won't be able to get the pilot of the .308 Win. reamer into the bore (in the beginning) with the smaller 30-30 chamber. Done carfully on a lathe it should be ok though. As I'm sure you know the same Handi-rifle barrel is chambered in 30-06 so there is no 308/307 "high pressure" issue.
Good luck with the project.

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS..........I thought you were modifying a winchester, did not realize it was a handy rifle. I agree it will handle the pressure.

It is simple to start the reamer accurately. Set the barrel up through the headstock, dial indicate both ends, with a boring tool bore out the chamber .250 deep to a diameter slightly bigger than the shoulder dimension but smaller than diameter of cartridge at mid point. The reamer will follow the chamber accurately untill the pilot engages.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whyt not go to a 30/40?. This would be a more
available cartridge. A few years ago this was somewhat popular.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30-40 Krag would be my choice too, but he HAS the 308 Win reamer. A 30-40 Krag reamer is almost half the price of the whole Handi-rifle...unless of course you borrow or rent one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, I have a 30-40 reamer, but thought I would go with something new. Got 300 new cases and .308 dies so here I go!!!!

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote