New
Find
Notify
Tools

adding weight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what is the best way to add weight to a rifle to lessen recoil?i have a 700 BDL 7mm mag and i find that the recoil is a little more than i like. i sometimes forget to wear my past recoil pad[i have had 4 surgeries on my shoulder and the pad bothers my spot where the pins were placed [to keep shoulder together].any ideas to get weight into rifle stock[at butt]would be greatly appreciated.also where in canada can i get a sims limbsaver slip on recoil pad in large size to fit a 700BDL 7mm mag in left hand wood stock?

Posts: 26 | Location: alberta | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
You can always drill a hole in the stock under the recoil pad. Fill the hole with some 20 minute set epoxy resin with #8 bird shot mixed in. A slot cut underneath the barrel in the barrel channel and so filled can be added to place the balance point where you want it. You can add nearly a pound of weight by installing a mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock as well.

Good luck
---Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
I understand your problem as two friends of mine have shoulder problems as well. Besides the ideas above you might handload for the rifle. Using lighter bullets at reduced velocity will equal or exceed the benefit of the reduction of weight. If the handloaded lighter bullets are of premium construction then good performance will still result.

Many gunsmiths will install recoil pads. Just look in your phone directory. Besides Limb Saver, which is nice and soft, there is the Decelerator and maybe others. It's a good time to get the LOP just right as well.

To reduce the pain and risk of injury if you shoot from a bench rest hold the rifles forend with your non trigger hand and rest that wrist against the bag. This will negate the use of a butt bag however the higher position will reduce the force to the shoulder as the forward hand soaks a lot of it up. There will be some pulse noted while you aim but this is like a real field position and it's very good practice. Some rifles even shoot better this way and for sure it's the real world for sporters.

How big is your budget? For some game shooting smaller cartridges will get the job done at moderate range. While a cartridge the size of a 7mm RM is an excellent choice for all around use it's not necessary at all if one just gets a little closer. I always liked Ray Atkinsons quote "At some range every 300 magnum becomes a 30-06"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have assembled several rifles for individuals having injured shoulders/surgery.

Here is a typical 300 Win Mag: No. 5 barrel, 26 inches long, McMillan stock, Pachmayr 550 Triple mag Recoil Pad, and either one or two mercury recoil reducers epoxied into the butt of the stock. Watch the balance, may have to put the second reducer in the forend.

[ 11-30-2003, 21:23: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John makes a good point about balance. For this reason I think the best place for a reducer, or any other weight for that matter, is as close to the receiver as you can get it. For this reason in the forend right in front of the receiver might be best.
In your case, the main thing you want to avoid is hard contact on your shoulder so a soft pad is mandatory. I have been using one of the Answer gel pads under my shirt lately and it works very well.
I don't really like muzzle brakes but have to admit they will probably do more to reduce recoil than anything else. On a caliber like the 7 Mag they are especially effective and the recoil all but goes away. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much of this stuff adds weight and makes packing a rifle all day a chore...If I had such an injury I would simply have a brake installed. Forget all the malarky about blast, shots from rifles are loud anyway you cut it..They work. If the noise bothers you get some ear plugs that allow you to hear normal noises...

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good reason to get a new rifle, say 7-08?

At least this way you will not have to stress out about making the 7mm Mag shoot softer, and the money you would spend on the modifications would be an investment.

I like options, and this one would fill a void in the gun rack if you ask me...

Way to much fun....

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Four surgeries and pins? Sounds to me like its time for you to shoot from the other shoulder before you do more damage.

You'll be suprised how quickly you can make the change.

What does your MD say? If you don't want to change shoulders go with the muzzle brake.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WALLY,my right shoulder is in just as bad of shape[3 surguries,lots of heavy work in oilfield when i was 18,now 43 body is about worn out.doctor said no more heavy calibers,had to sell my 300wby.i am blind in right eye,oilfield accident.so i am very lucky to be able to use my arms at all.bought 700 bdl lefthand 7mm mag as heavy gun.

Posts: 26 | Location: alberta | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote