THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Sako A5 action--still a good choice for a custom gun?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako A5 action--still a good choice for a custom gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
Years ago I used to see this action as one highly preferred by those that were having a gun custom made. Is it true that it was (or is) more higly regarded than other actions made by Sako? How does this action compare to other options more readily available on the market? Are some gun makers still using this action when they can find it?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
This is my opinion only but, I would prefer the A5 over any of the newer SAKO's. I believe that anything they have done to the subsequent models was only done to help with production and not esthetics or functionality. Oh, by the way, did I mention I am extremely conservative in my tastes.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
...I would prefer the A5 over any of the newer SAKO's. I believe that anything they have done to the subsequent models was only done to help with production and not esthetics or functionality.

+1!

The A5 actions used to be sold by Brownells for not that much more than a M700 action. That was a steal - sadly I only got one at the time. These days, they are hard to come by, and you often have to cannibalize a gun to get the action.

It is a very well built and very slick action - probably its greatest plus. The trigger is great - unless you are looking for a "target type" (sub-1 lbs) pull weight, in which case you are out of luck. I live with the safety, but that is about as positive as I can get about that part ...

Nice action, all in all. Great platform for a nice custom rifle.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I did have a custom gun made in 1990 that has a an AV action and still use the gun a lot. I've been thinking of getting another custom gun made and have not looked into what options are now on the market. I do have a couple of other later model Sakos and so I'm very familiar with their comfort and design. I'm now trying to to decide if I should go with another Sako action or consider something else.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is still the best action out there. The A-III had a sli9ghtly better trigger, but its tang is pretty short. The Model 75 isn't too bad, but the model 85 is just plain awful.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
It is still the best action out there. The A-III had a sli9ghtly better trigger, but its tang is pretty short. The Model 75 isn't too bad, but the model 85 is just plain awful.

If you wanted to find one for a new custom project, where would you look?

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are fine actions in my book! thumb

Go for it, and most importantly post pics of it here when she is done.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you wanted to find one for a new custom project, where would you look

Used gun racks, gun broker.com, guns america, etc.

Try an add in the classifieds here.

Good luck.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote