THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Conversion to 8mm rem mag- Action length needed??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conversion to 8mm rem mag- Action length needed??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a nice 8mm Rem Mag, but haven't found exactly what I'm after. I am a Win 70 fan by nature. Excuse the ignorance of this question, but can I use a 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win mag mdl 70 for a rebarrel, or do I need to find something in 7mm STW or the RUM cartridges??

I can't seem to find a solid answer on whether the actions lengths are different or not??

Thanks for the help

Posts: 139 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
but can I use a 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win mag mdl 70 for a rebarrel, or do I need to find something in 7mm STW or the RUM cartridges??

An action for the STW, H&H etc would be easiest. The 7mag/300wmag action can be made to work. The spacer must be removed form the mag box and the bolt stop and ejector must be shortened. When I used to convert the 7mag to STW I would simply buy the mag box, follower, stop and ejector for the long action and just replace them for $25-30. Should take less than 30 minutes to alter the original 7mag action.

Short aswer on the late model 70s the action for the 7mag and 7stw were the same. The loading port was a touch longer on the STW I believe but the STW loads just fine in a original 7mag action

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one can use a Win Mag length action... you just need to get a Wyatt magazine box extension.. available via Pacific Tool and Gauge...or Wyatt Outdoor...

http://wyattsoutdoor.com/index.php/cPath/1

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote