New
Find
Notify
Tools

"22Special" H&R-I need your help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have acquired a break open H&R 22 Special. The stamp on the barrel says 22W.R.F.CTG. It has a 7 shot cylinder stamped WRF. Has a one piece wrap around grip with a sort of tear-drop grip frame. The cylinder screws off. The serial number on the grip is 572855. The cylinder is stamped pat.1904730. I purchaced some CCI 22WRF cartridges. The first two bullets cleared the barrel. The next couple lodged in the barrel. Thank goodness no damage was done to myself or the revolver. My gunsmith helped remove the stuck bullets and discovered the barrel has a .217 groove diameter (according to the removed bullets). He indicated the bore diameter should be .217 and the groove should be .222 according to current specs. The CCI bullets are copper plated. A standard lead 22LR cartridge did fire and exit the barrel in this gun, but the brass bulged noticably. Any thoughts? I can't find any information on a 7 shot 22Special in 22WRF. Any suggestions on where to find a 22LR Cylinder for this gun, or a barrel of correct bore size? Were the bore specs different years ago? Are the copper plated bullets the problem? Does anyone make a factory lead bullet in this caliber? If so, would it be safe to shoot?

Posts: 76 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
pharmpoke--

Why don't you consider retiring an old gun that wasn't *really* designed to shoot more than a box a shells in it's lifetime and buy a modern 22 LR.

The H&R is one of the original "Two Dollar Pistols" that had a reputation for getting "hot" by blowing up!! It's easy to imagine ".......the runnin' pullets an' fountain of bullets......" written about in the old Blues songs when the top latch broke and threw the cartriges and cases straight in the air while trying to shoot a chicken.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk- I'll head to another board for real help. The gun has sentimental value if nothing else. I asked for some help, not a wise guy. Yes I have numerous other revolvers and plinkers. Yes I know the gun is of little value. But yes, I'd like to be able to shoot it. The arrogance of some at this site is a real turn off.

<JBelk>
posted
What you got was the truth and a history lesson. It's up to you to take or leave it.

<Hellrazor>
posted
If the pistol is sticking bullets in the barrel and bulging brass.. quit while you are ahead. I have a few firearms of sentimental value too.. they are hanging in my gun cabinet. What Jack told you is not arrogant, its reality. If i was reloading and i had cases bulge and stuck bullets, i would wonder what the hell was wrong with the gun or the work i was doing or both.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Pharmpoke,

First off, welcome to the forums here! Now regarding your H&R, there are several things you can do- contact Gun Parts Corporation and see if they can get you the correct part, or something more cockeyed like lap out your barrel when you find out the parts will cost more than the gun is worth, or make inserts out of old 22 magnum shells that you can use to fire 22 rf shells in, however...........

My suggestion is to do a search of postings written by JBelk, and decide for yourself if he is a truly competent and knowledgeable gunsmith. If he has reservations about a certain model of firearm he is not being a curmudgeon, but an honest person trying to keep someone from perhaps getting inadvertently injured.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel/cylinder gap must be something to behold if it's sticking bullets.

I'm with JBelk on this one.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pharmpoke:

I think everyone here understands sentimental value. The bottom line is, your firearm is not safe to shoot. How much sentimental value would you have if it blew up and took a part of you with it? You can spend some money and maybe make it work, but it all depends on how much it's worth to you. Weapons like this are why the word "wallhanger" was invented.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
May I add something?

1) The pistol is chambered for .22 WRF, a cartridge that is no longer loaded (except in limited runs) NOT .22 WRFM. That is Winchester Rim Fire v.s. Winchester Rim Fire Magnum. The two do not generally interchange, but a .22 WRF will fire in a .22 WRFM without any problems.

2) Holy shit guys! We are talking a .22 here! There is not a .22 rim fire, Magnum included, that will blow up a pistol! Unless of course it is made out of "Silly Putty" or some such material. Aluminum is strong enough to hold ANY .22 rim fire. Sheese, what is your guys problem?

3) The .22 WRF is bigger in diameter than a standard .22 RF, so yes, the case will bulge. But no, it won't hurt the gun OR YOU! The bullet diameter is about the same for both. The .22 WRF has a case that is about .100 longer than a .22 RF and about .01 larger in diameter. These differences are a "guesstamit" as I don't feel like looking up the actual differences, but I have owned both. I've also shot .22 rim fire out of a .22 WRF. Other than splitting the cases (DUH!) there is no problem.

4) You can have the cylinder reamed for .22 WRFM which is no problem if the pistol is otherwise sound. If the barrel is ratty, have it relined. A .22 anything is not going to tax your pistol, no matter who made it.

5) As for not being safe to shoot, B.S. If you shot a .308 in a 30-06 it might split the case, but it would still not be a safety hazard. Anyone who says different doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Regards,

Eric

http://www.sandygunworks.com

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Why not contact H&R/New England Firearms and see if they offer any service on this gun. That basic gun was made right up to a few years ago. Maybe there are parts or factory service available.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pharmpoke,
Jack gave it to you straight and didn't sugar coat it. If you had spent any time here you will find he is anything but arrogant. Helpful, honest, direct, accomodating yes. He is also one of the most knowledgable smiths you will ever have the chance to meet.

Think of todays Saturday night specials being handed down 50 years from now and an honest reply from a gunsmith. That is what you got. If you want someone to wipe your tears maybe you should go somewhere else.

The pistol is a POS, hang it up, say your apologies to Jack and enjoy this place.

[ 12-01-2002, 23:14: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
May I add something?

2) Holy shit guys! We are talking a .22 here! There is not a .22 rim fire, Magnum included, that will blow up a pistol! Unless of course it is made out of "Silly Putty" or some such material. Aluminum is strong enough to hold ANY .22 rim fire. Sheese, what is your guys problem?

http://www.sandygunworks.com

Eric:

Perhaps you should reread the first post. For whatever reason, a bullet lodged in the barrel. Bad ammo, maybe. Poor firing pin protrusion causing incomplete ignition, maybe. A cylinder gap that's way too big, maybe. I invite you to lodge a bullet in his barrel, load another and pull the trigger. Please let us know if a .22 still won't blow up a pistol.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone point me in the right direction to find a screw on 22LR 7 shot cylinder for this revolver? Any comments in relation to the previous question about bore diameter of this gun? Would it even be safe to shoot the lead 22LR if I found a cylinder, given the bore diameter? This appears to be an older or unusual configuration of H&R; manuals I've looked at don't show a 7 shot 22WRF break-open with wrap around grips. My understanding is that H&R is no longer around, so where could I turn for help? Before I "hang her up" I'd like to give an honest effort at reviving her. To JBelk, I apologize about the "arrogance" statement, but would like some help in getting this gun safely operational.

<JBelk>
posted
pharmpoke---

The gun is *still* not safe to shoot. Hang it on the wall.

I won't help you hurt yourself. I love guns too much to cause another statistic.

<Eric>
posted
Ryan,

I did read the whole thing, but thanks for pointing out that fact again. I remember one time reading an article (heck, I've read, heard or seen this "problem" several times) where a 'smith removed six bullets from a .38 Special revolver because the first stuck in the bore and the shooter just kept on 'a blazing.

Granted, this is not a "good thing". However, remember with a revolver a good portion of the pressure escapes from the cylinder gap. Any "blow up" I have ever seen or heard of occured from a vast over load. I do not see this being a problem with a rim fire, regardless of the cartridge.

JBelk is entiteled to his opinion, and I will respect his right to it. I may however disagree.

I have looked at the web sites included in the previous posts. It seems to me that these folks have a desire to own and use the best available. More power to them. I'm glad they are able to afford, sell, or otherwise be able to be associated with such excellent quality machinery.

While not the best, an H&R is a safe, generally reliable, and decent firearm, albiet "cheap". If maintained well and not abused it will last a long time.

As for the lodging of bullets, not having examined the piece myself, I cannot make a determination of the actual problem. However I did say "have the barrel relined". If the rest of the piece is in good condition, it should be fine.

As for blowing things up, I one time fired a 9mm sub machine gun with real high pressure ammo. Sometime during the magazine (30 rounds), one bullet lodged in the barrel. Being a blow back firearm with a rate of about 1000 rpm, it continued on firing. The barrel bulged slightly about midway. I had no idea it had occured until I cleaned the weapon and looked in the barrel. I've also had this happen in a 9mm handgun, though I caught it before touching off another that time.

While I most definately do not recommend this practice, I find it just a little much to be concerned about .22 rim fire in a revolver.

Again, JBelk is entiteled to his opinions. And
I too will not suscribe to helping another injure himself, but I also will not tell another that his stuff is junk without looking at it myself. I'm sure he builds fine, even exceptional firearms. But I stand behind my work too. And I've never had anything come back. (Except for a Llama that really was a POS.)

Regards,

Eric

Oh yea! Pharmpolk! You might want to give the barrel a really good cleaning! Might have some lead build up there causing the problem.