New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action for 500 Jeffrey
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a quick question, but which action would YOU use if you are building a rifle for the 500 Jeffrey cartridge?

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnum length Mauser 98

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Why magnum length? The whole idea to the Schuler/Jeffrey cartridge was to fit into a standard length M98 and not require much bolt face modification. The kinks are all in the magazine with that giant, fat brass. Dealing with the rebated rim is whole other question I'm not qualified to answer.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that last night I think on gunbroker I saw one as I was doing my usual checking around of what is out there. I think it was under 1500 bucks, or right around there. I didn't look at the listing to see the pics of it though.

There is a local shop that was going to build one and at first they were going to go with a CZ550, but then I think that they ended up getting a M70 that they were going to use. Either of those would be great I would think. Probably the easiest if you don't have a rifle or action laying around would be to buy one of those Montana actions, since I think that they offer all kinds of different bolt faces and magazine boxes from the factory.

I don't know though, I saw a box of 5 one time, 120 bucks!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
as i have reworked 2 enfields for the 500...

I would start with, in my choice of order
cz550 that started as 416 rigby (same boltface and pretty close on feeding)
montana PH (but that's a LONG ways out)
model 70

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

A 500 Schuler/Jeffery can be done on a normal 98, BUT the magazine must be some sort of stacked type in the center of the mag well, not like the normal mauser magazines. I have seen a german made rifle that had a centerd inline magazine. The magazine didn't won any beauty contests either [Razz] [Eek!]

My personal recommendation, for such artillery piece is a magnum lenght mauser.

/ JOHAN

[ 08-07-2003, 19:49: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Here's an original Schuler for sale; looks like standard length to me with the tall, single stack magazine:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976368258.htm

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Now that's an elephant gun! And the price is very reasonable, given what I've seen others going for. Too bad I don't have 9 grand.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
Here is what you need to do with a normal M98 action. Not much steel left.
http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=005957#000000

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim.

I still have some 500 Jeffery Guards for the M98.

They hold 3 in the box, Max width of the rear of the guard is 1.010".

I have not gotten around to carving on a action to get the dims for the rails yet.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer a Mod 20 type Mauser action or the CZ or even a big Ruger should do well..That would give you a little more room I would think...The Enfield with extensive work makes a sure nice 500 or 505.....

I would get one of Butch Sercys Mausers with a half oct/half round ribbed barrel if I were making a real big bore like that...stock it in a nice piece of wood...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd try to talk Harold Wolf out of one of his proprietary actions designed specifically for the .500 Jeffery. I believe that his action is not much longer than a standard M98 but much wider along with a host of other features tailored to the Jeffery.

http://www.hataritimes.com/e/guns.html#

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Do not even attempt this on a CZ550 unless you have a Schuler mag! The mag box dimensions needed for a cz550 will not work reliably. By reliable I mean, it will feed from a closed bolt and all cartridges in the magazine. 10 times in a row. You can build a special foreward/rearward staggered mag that will work, but even this is very iffy. You can built a reliable 500 Jeff on a P14/1917 enfield, a Vektor or Granite mountain action. Big bucks and custom mag.
You probably can get a M77 in 416 Rigby to work and a M98 with a custom mag ala J. Wisner.
Honestly, the 500 Jeff and the 505 Gibbs are probably the two hardest cartridges there are to get to feed reliably in any action.
Don't waste the time. Go for a 416 Rigby conversion to a 500 A2 on a CZ550 you'll be glad you did. More power and infinitely easier to do.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote