THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Will shortening barrel of BAR mess up the gas pressure going through the gas port?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will shortening barrel of BAR mess up the gas pressure going through the gas port?
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking about having the barrel on a BAR Mk. II Safari .25-06 shortened from 24 to about 18 or 20 inches. Because of a heart problem I have, I cannot stand getting kicked as hard as the lightweight BAR carbines kick (been there, done that), so just going out and buying a BAR lightweight carbine won't solve my problem. Also, I want a little more power and bullet diameter than a .243 has, so a BAR carbine in that light-kicking caliber won't work either.

I can shoot the .25-06 though, because of its moderate kick and the heavy weight of the Safari BAR. Also, I have killed every deer I have ever shot at with it, but the 24 inch barrel is very inconvenient in a shooting house.

If I have the barrel cut back to 18-20 inches, will shortening barrel have an adverse effect on the amount of gas going into the gas port, so that the rifle might start jamming because of a difference in the gas pressure?

Any advice from anyone having experience with shortening the barrel on a BAR will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts: 27 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i think that cutting off 6" of barrel might lessen the weight maybe 6 oz... why not replace the original recoil pad with a better 1???...like a decelerator??? ive got 3 BAR's... a .300 win mag, a 7 rem mag and a .270...and i'm looking for a .338.. but not with the BOSS system...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Rebel:
If I have the barrel cut back to 18-20 inches, will shortening barrel have an adverse effect on the amount of gas going into the gas port, so that the rifle might start jamming because of a difference in the gas pressure?

Yes! I port BAR's and in every instance I have to make an adjustment to the gas port so it will feed. The new BAR's use an adjustable metering system (a screw) which allows you to fine tune the flow.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I think shortening a 25-06 barrel to 18-20 would be a mistake.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The factory makes the BAR Longtrac models in 9.3x62 and 7x64 with 20" barrels. Look on the International website.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Wespac's. I think I am going to hold off on having the barrel cut and just try to go another route. This rifle just shoots too good to risk messing it up!

Posts: 27 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote