THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Huskvarna Commercial Mauser---How big a cartridge will it handle??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huskvarna Commercial Mauser---How big a cartridge will it handle??
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
Gentlemen:

Would like to have a commercial Husqvarna mauser customized into an elk rifle. It is presently chambered in .30-06. The .338-.06 is an option, but what other larger elk cartridge can I stuff into this action and obtain reliable feeding with? How big a cartridge will this action handle. I suspect cartridge OAL and feeding will be the primary challenges. This is a small ring action, but as you all know, it is made with first rate swedish steel. I don't think strength is much of a limitation.

What say you?

Thanks,

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
This action was available in and was suitable for any of the short magnums. Or what used to be called short magnums. This wouls include the 7mm Rem, 300 Win, 308 Norma, 338, 358Norma etc. I think it would work great for a 375 Chatfield-Taylor or a 416 Taylor but don't consider it suitable for any of the full length mags like the 375 H&H. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action length is likely OK, but the box may be too small for the fat mags,mine was.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote