New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know who does rebore work?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How well do they turn out in regard to accuracy? I am interested in turning a NEF Handi Rifle Bull Barrel in .223 into a .300/.221 Fireball for use with a suppressor. Is there anyone who does this work that is well respected and recommended? Thank you in advance for your time.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most any gunsmith should be able to rechamber the barrel, as long as the reamer will clean up the 223 chamber.
As for the suppressor, try Gem Tech (sp?) They make a very good 22 caliber suppressor for the AR-15 type rifle. It would just be a matter of threading the barrel on your Handi Rifle to accept it.
The one issue I see, is that the suppressor, I think, is about 10" or more in length. If you cut the barrel to 16" you still end up with a 26"+ barrel. Your other alternative is to have the barrel shortened to 10" or so, and apply for a license for a Short Barreled Rifle, which is another $200 transfer tax. A big problem with that is that once you register that receiver serial number as a SBR, it is an NFA weapon for life, even if you put a factory barrel back on it. The problem with NFA weapons, is that when you want to travel out of your state with the gun, you must submit in writing to the ATF a request to do so. You don't have to get an answer, just prove that you sent the notification in. Also, many states do not allow NFA weapons, which opens up another can of worms.
There may be a way to undo the SBR classification, but that would have to be taken up with the ATF. The problem there is that if you ask the same question to 5 different people, you have a good chance of getting 5 different answers, and none of them may be correct.
I think it is an interesting project and please keep the forum members informed if you decide to do it.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by viperidae:
How well do they turn out in regard to accuracy? I am interested in turning a NEF Handi Rifle Bull Barrel in .223 into a .300/.221 Fireball for use with a suppressor. Is there anyone who does this work that is well respected and recommended? Thank you in advance for your time.

There are a number of rifle smiths who do reboring. I just can't find my list right now, but there are lists in back of the Gun Digest. Often a rebored barrel comes out more accurate after reboring. It is a good approach if you are not interested in a new barrel.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Clearwater Reboring. They did an excellent job for me.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Try Clearwater Reboring. They did an excellent job for me.
Butch

+1 good folks too. I'm sure Jim could thread your barrel too.

NEAT STORY:
There is a guy in the next town over that does suppressors, David Smith of S-N-S in Walls, MS. He started out as a class III dealer and has now moved into manufacturing. David called me last Sunday to tell me about something new he's building. Down here in Mississippi you can legally own a suppressor. You can also legally hunt with one. We have a primitive weapon season but it also includes metallic cartridge rifles .35 caliber and above as long as you use a single shot breech loading rifle with an exposed hammer. the NEF .45-70 fits nicely into this category. Well, to make a long story short He's making a .45-70 suppressor designed for the NEF handi rifle! Too cool. Another friend of mine has seen it and say's looks like the suppressor in that movie NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN! Eeker I haven't seen it yet and I'm trying to not go into his shop for a while. it usually cost me money! I was almost the proud owner of a SMG last time I went in there Roll Eyes

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I thought those trigger guard posts were boring for the most part, they keep coming back so I'd call them re-boring.

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The name, Jim DuBiel comes to mind for reboring.. Not sure I spelled his name correctly.
I do know that my gunsmith up here in Northern Michigan does reboreing, Al Siegrist in Whittemore, MI. He bored out a shot out 257 Buhmiller heavy barrel for me to 7mm, for a 284 and it shoots as well as any new barrel.

Don

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have used Danny Pederson at Cutrifle.com in Ariziona with excellent results.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote