Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom Metal for M700??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear All,

I'll be restocking my M700 Vamint BDL SA (.223 Rem) this year. That makes it a good time to consider new bottom metal.

The factory floorplate seems to be of some sort of "plastic" - I doubt it is aluminium, and it is certainly not steel. Over the years one of the "pegs" (for lack of a better word) holding the magazine spring has broken off, and the floorplate does feel pretty "plasticky".

What are my options?? Does anybody make either a new floorplate or complete bottom metal for a M700 SA?? Are there issues with fit, models or whatnot??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Williams makes a steel one piece trigger guard and floorplate. It's expensive but it will probably be the best machined part on your rifle!

www.williamsfirearms.com

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Check out Williams bottom metal. Here is link to the company and to midwayusa.com

http://www.williamsfirearms.com/One-Piece%20Assemblies.htm

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?TabID=0&category_selector=all_products&search_keywords=williams+trigger+700

I've used their products and find them to be first rate. BTW, you'll not that the BDL floorplate requires an ADL mag box.

The factory bottom metal is some sort of cast aluminum - plasitcy is a good way to describe it, I have no time for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, that is great. Since I posted, I went and had a look at Brownell's (I probably should have done this BEFORE I posted). Anyway, they had a unit from Dakota, and that was even more expensive than the Williams unit. So even though the Williams bottom metal is not exactly cheap, this is still the best option I have come across thus far.

Any idea what the ADL mag box costs??

Further ideas (in particular cheap and good Cool) are still much appreciated.

- mike

P.S. Found the magbox at Midway. $8.99 was the charge, I can live with that...

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

<9.3x62>
posted
Don't forget the tab screw for the ADL mag box...

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?TabID=0&category_selector=all_products&search_keywords=adl+mag+box+screw

The SS will be fine as it will be hidden of course.

As afar I know, the Williams stuff is about as cheap as you're going to get. Even the factory BDL bottom metal runs $100ish all told...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aha, one of those as well, then. What does this gizmo do??
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new 700 ADL 223 magazine box and screw. Interested in trading this item for your 223 BDL magazine box?

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, it is really decent of you to offer this. The logistics might get a bit much, though. I'm (hopefully) having this gun stocked this year, need to have it all fitted on my trip to the States etc. Until then, I need to have my rifle working here in Switzerland. So it is probably a bit hard to fit in a swap of mag boxes as well. Thanks for the offer, though.

- mike

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Aha, one of those as well, then. What does this gizmo do??
- mike

It attaches the mag box to the action. The ADL box has a small tab with a screw hole in it top side, the tab screw then threads through this tab into a tapped hole right near center (ADL) guard screw hole.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If this is a BDL, with factory floorplate and mag box already in existance, why are you adding ADL stuff?

Don't the Williams units accept factory parts?

Rod Rogers
Author & Angler
rod@mountainofdreams.com

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:

Don't the Williams units accept factory parts?

Nope, their BDL-style floorplate system uses an ADL mag box. Some technical reason relating to action vibrations that the factory BDL box won't prevent. Check out the midwayusa description above - it talks all about it. The williams firearms page has a bit on it as well...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure would like to read that technical reasoning for "action vibrations". Could not find it on the links above. We did convert a Rem 700 short action titanium to a BDL recently, albeit using factory bottom metal subsequently Serekoted and engraved. (Pigeon Popper). Going to standard BDL parts was fairly painless.

Rod Rogers
Author & Angler
rod@mountainofdreams.com

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted