New
Find
Notify
Tools

.284 WINCHESTER
 Login/Join

<dmep>
posted
MY GRANDFATHER GAVE ME A .35-.284. THIS IS A CUSTOM MADE GUN DATING FROM THE '60'S. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON NECKING OUT NEW .284 BRASS FOR THE .35 CALIBER BULLET.

THE OLD BRASS I HAVE MAY NOT BE RELOADABLE. I WOULD LIKE SOME SUGGESTIONS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe a series of expander spindles would do the trick. Possible 30, then 338, then 358. May have to anneal the case neck somewhere in there.

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Start with fresh brass if you can, this will lessen the possibility of cracking cases. There used to be a tapered expander you could buy that would allow you to keep expanding with the one die, but if you don't have that then a series of steps, 30, 8mm, 338, 35 should work. Another alternative, depending on the gun involved is the cornmeal version, prime a 284 case, load a few grains of a fast powder (bullseye should work), fill the rest of the case with cornmeal, plug the neck of the case with tissue paper or wax, take it outside (aim the gun upwards to keep the case against the bolt face) and shoot it. You may have to play with the amount of powder to get it exactly right, but once you do it will fireform cases to your chamber. FWIW - Dan

[ 12-13-2002, 00:04: Message edited by: dan belisle ]

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote