Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mounting for Dummies
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Can someone explain how to mount a scope on a rifle. I have a rifle (CZ-550), a scope (Leupold VX-1 2-7x33), and rings (Warne Med QD). I've never done this before - what do I need to know?

Thanks for the help!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be a mart ass, but take it to a smith and watch him do it. Ask some questions while you're at it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Copy that, Jim! I have had customers offer, and I accepted, double pay to teach them how to mount a scope on their firearm. Some have made the investment in tools and now do their own, the rest keep bringing their new rifles back to me.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using horizontally split rings, mount them on the rifle, place the scope in the lower portions and find your eye relief. Mark this position on the scope with a piece of masking tape.

With vertically split rings, put the scope in them and mounted loosely to rifle, find the eye relief, mark with masking tape.

Remove the scope.

Put the rifle in a padded vise, and level across lower half of mounted rings if horizontally split;

or,

across integral scope base if using vertically split rings, then add the rings and scope.

With either type of rings, set up with enough play to be able to move the scope in them somewhat, and position at the masking tape applied earlier to maintain proper eye relief.

Level scope across top turret cap, or across turret with cap removed. That will plumb the crosshairs.

Tighten rings slowly and evenly; a torque wrench is a good idea.

The vertically split rings are more of a PITA to mount than the horizontals.

Use a decent, small level, like a Starrett, or the head from a six inch or smaller combination square.

-but I've done it with hardware store grade "torpedo" levels, too.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote