Find
Notify
Tools

Swedish Mauser magazine problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a minor gunsmithing problem on a Carl Gustaf Mauser. I have a Kimberized CG 96 in 6.5x55 (1902) that is a pretty decent shooter.

The problem is with the magazine and most probably the magazine follower. If I do not push the follower toward the back of the receiver, the spring pressure will spit the cartridge right back out of the magazine as soon as I load it. The follower is a strong 1/4" shorter than the magazine well allowing the follower to move back and forth. Is this a common problem? Is there a fix for this?

The magazine follower is 2.950" front to back and the magazine well is 3.235" front to back. That leaves a difference of about .271" free play for and aft.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DD,

I also have a Kimber 6.5x55 but I have no problem with loading it. I also checked another M96 I have, an original, and the follower is the same, about 1/4" shorter than the mag well with the space at the front. Could it be that your follower spring is not seated all the way to the rear causing your follower to be at the front of the magazine?

What stock did yours come with? Mine has a Ramline that looks OK but doesn't fit well at all and stresses the floorplate, that's my current issue with the gun. The original stock looked like hell but the gun shot well, should never have sent it back to Ramline.

Sorry, don't know what's causing your to act up

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Rob,
My Ramline seems to fit pretty well. It is snug on the action and the bottom metal. The floorplate release works as it is supposed to.

The only problem with the stock is where some previous owner spilled some cleaning solvent on the forearm and left some discolored splotches on the stock. I am thinking about doing a camo paint job on the stock to cover it up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just checked the 2 original Swedes I have, #'s jive with yours. As Rob mentioned, the spring may be the problem?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Krylon makes some nice camo paints, in a good matte finish. it's called Fusion and is made to adhere to plastic. My Walmart carries it for $4/can, buy three colors and have a go.

here are some guns I did with the Fusion paint.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Rob,
That's about the kind of painting I was thinking about doing.

Craigster, et al,
Which way should I bend the spring? Does your follower reside closer to the front of the magazine or toward the rear when you open the bolt? I am wondering if I should make sure that the front is tipped up? Should I try to tilt the follower more toward the right (bolt handle) side of the rifle? I have tried to bend the spring just a bit but it is pretty tough material and I am not sure that I have moved anything yet.

Is there a dealer that has parts like the spring and follower? I can't find them on Numrich.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The end of the spring that fits the floor plate is wider than the end that fits the follower. Endplay of the follower with the spring installed is roughly 1/16" and 1/32" or less in the floor plate. The follower is all the way to the rear of the magazine when the bolt is open. Hope this helps.

Numrich does list a spring and follower for the 38 Swede, which I think would work.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/prod...el=1780z38%20SWEDISH

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As criagster says, on both of mine the follower is all the way to the rear.

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Craigster, Rob,
Thanks a bunch! I will try tweaking the spring and maybe order another one from Numrich. Looks like the spring will be less thant he shipping. At least I am probably on the right track in fixing the problem.

Mort

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Well I finally got a replacement spring for the Kimberized 96 and the problem is solved! It was definitely a different shape from the one I bought gun. The rounds now go into the magazine and stay there till the bolt pushes them out.

Many thanks to all who helped with ideas and recommendations.

Hold in the hair and hit 'em hard!