New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 870 parts swapping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am wanting to know if the complete metal trigger housing from a 1980 era Rem 870 Magnum 12 gauge is interchangeable with the composite trigger housings of the current models, i.e. a 12 gauge Super-Mag 3-1/2" model?

To be clear I want to know if the old metal housing will work in the newer model.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to the Remington web site and see if the parts number match

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Remington. The young lady I spoke with was very knowledgeable and helpful. She said they are interchangeable, 12 gauge to 12 gauge. I am assuming some of the smaller frame 870's would not interchange with a 12 gauge by her asking what gauge were both guns.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think the complete fire array between the Super Magnum and the standard 2-3/4 & 3 inch are interchangeable. The trigger plate itself may be the same but I think the carrier and a few other parts may be different. I don't have two here to compare. You would have to put them back to back and have a look at them. But I've been wrong before.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But can you remember what you were wrong about?

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Guy:
But can you remember what you were wrong about?

It's usually about 50/50 so I just flip a coin. But some days it seems like I can't remember my damned name. I think I may have advanced CRS. (can't remember shit)

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think the complete fire array between the Super Magnum and the standard 2-3/4 & 3 inch are interchangeable. The trigger plate itself may be the same but I think the carrier and a few other parts may be different. I don't have two here to compare. You would have to put them back to back and have a look at them. But I've been wrong before.

I think this is right. It has been several years but I remember swapping an older metal trigger group for a plastic one and I remember grinding the head off of a pin, turning a new pin and TIGing the new pin in rather than staking it. Maybe the loading gate???

Like I said, it's been a long time and I've slept since then!

Posts: 555 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote