Find
Notify
Tools

removing machine marks in barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted
I have a new 9.3 barrel installed and the bore is full of marks, according to the smith it is not pit marks, so no rust but it fouls very bad, any ideas how to get them out, I have cleaned the barrel and shot bullets over clean steal but have not seen any real change, have shot altogether about 120, 15 of those trough clean barrel. Any ideas mind you I live in South Africa; I won't be able to get hold of all the nice goodies you guys get over there.

Any ideas will be appreciated

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flip:
I have a new 9.3 barrel installed and the bore is full of marks, according to the smith it is not pit marks, so no rust but it fouls very bad, any ideas how to get them out, I have cleaned the barrel and shot bullets over clean steal but have not seen any real change, have shot altogether about 120, 15 of those trough clean barrel. Any ideas mind you I live in South Africa; I won't be able to get hold of all the nice goodies you guys get over there.

Any ideas will be appreciated

How does the marks look.
Is it holes, or is it tiny cikular marks, like rings in the bore, or both bore and rifeling. What brand of barrel is it, and is it cut, broached,buttoned or hammerforged.
And last but not least, does it shoot well despite the fouling.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
jørgen

it is a Heym barrel, the best way I can say the is some scars running along with how can a say rough patches a few mm long, the best I can say is like a mountain top up and down rough, but I can say there is holes in it, as far as I know it is hammer forged, no after fouling it don't behave, after I scrubbed the bore and cleaned it it gives me 20 mm groups, but after 15 to 20 shots it gives me about 2 inch groups, it than makes a habit of putting 1 bullet away from the rest, but other times it sends every bullet in another direction

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen that on 5 or 6 Sauerbarrels also.
I figure that they when hammering they havent clened the mandrel , and what you sees is impresionsmarks from chips or durt that has ben forged down into the surface, and after fiering a few rounds it lets go, and leeves small craters in the surface.
You might try to lap your barrel, by making a 5 cm long ten mold in the muzle on a cleaningrod,
First you ad pure oil on the mold, then try to pull it backwarda and forward, without pushing it totaly out of the rifeling. Then you start applying abrasiwe (fine valve grinding compound) that you cyckle many times sypplying a little axtra compound frequently, still you must not push it completely out.
After dooing that i guess you have a barrel that does not foul as mutch.

By the way, was the barrel installed by Rosenthall or The Gunnshop

one of us
posted Hide Post
Flip, I am big fan of firelapping barrels when this kind of issue is at hand. The 'Tubbs Final Finish' system is what I use. It is progressively finer grits of abrasive bullets, that you load, light loads, and cleaning and it has been very positive for me and several associates I have helped in doing it on their rifles. I have seen some rifles that it didn't improve accuracy, but NEVER did it hurt accuracy, and it reduced fouling in EVERY instance where the barrel had previoulsy had fouling issues.

You can order the Final Finish system from a number of mail order suppliers here, like Cabela's, Midway etc.

Good Luck--Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Firelapping with a NECO kit would be a good way to go. I did this on a couple of new Winchester M70 stainless barrels that were rough as a cob and fouled badly. I'm sure the firelapping erodes the throat some but in my case it greatly reduced the fouling and did not affect the accuracy. It tends to be a tedious, time consuming process, but worth it if you like the rifle and intend to keep it.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the advice

I have a friend who will get me the stuff to do the fire lapping, I will do it, my main concern is how badly the rifle fouled, and if the accuracy stays I will be overjoyed

Flip