THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please show off those custom SMLEs (again).
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am redoing a 1918 vintage BSA No. 1, Mark 3 SMLE (because I want to) and would like some inspiration. There have been some pictures posted here in the past of some really nice ones, but the pictures are no longer viewable. Would you folks please show off those custom SMLEs (again)? Also, if you would tell a bit about what you did, how difficult it was to do, and what you would do differently, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post

This one is a 303-25 built on a Lithgow SMLE action. It has a synthetic stock. I did not build it.

The top rifle in this pic is a 1902 MkI*. It has the safety on the back of the bolt (not shown). The butt piece is a Musgrave semi-finished in African Walnut and the fore-end is my own creation - also African Walnut. The finish is Linseed oil. It is fitted with a 'new' No.4 barrel.

Below is the scope mount, which is soldered to the receiver and brides the bolt dust cover.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
During the late 40's and early 50's two B.C. stock makers (Joe Gibault and Bill Leahy) made up quite a few very light weight SMLE's with fancy maple stocks. Some were half stock and some were full stock. They modified the action extensively and made one piece stocks for them. The band that divided the two piece stocks was cut away entirely as far as I could see but they may have left an interior shoulder as a recoil lug. Magazines were blind, held 3 or 4 rounds. Some had cut down magazines fitted internally but some used a carefully cut well in the wood and simply had the spring and follower in it. The trigger gaurds were, if I recall correctly from surplus Krag parts inventory. Triggers were re-worked and shortened. I handled several of them and always wanted to buy one but could not locate one for sale. Consequently never got a look at the internal action modifications. My best guess is they weighed about 5.5 lbs, possibly a bit less.

The wood work was first class and they were very well checkered. Wood was Pacific maple and all the rifles I saw had quilt pattern of high quality. As they were both on Van. Isle at the time it is likely they obtained the wood locally. They hand polished the barrels and actions, re-blued and had fitted ramp fronts and receiver sights.

I would still buy one if I could find one just to satisfy my curiousity. At the time they were the lightest rifles with power I had encountered and that when the Husqvarna rifles were considered light weights.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I made a mount from L bracket.
I put a piece of Tapco AR15 riser on top.

I generally like two piece mounts, but the 303 is hard on scopes with real solid two piece mounts.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.45-70's

Lee Speeds

What's these?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the SMLE is one of the ugliest oddest rifles I have seen

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Not a #3MkIII, (#2 - .308) jumping

Removed 7" of barrel and reset the furniture.

Yes, it is VERY FUGLY> It is the perfect 4 wheeler, tracor, or truck gin. You cannot hurt it.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's these?

The top one is a Lee Straight Pull but I have no idea what the others are. That must be quite a valuable collection there! thumb
quote:
Not a #3MkIII, (#2 - .308)
Is that an Isaporian SMLE? (No other SMLE is supposed to be strong enough for a 308 - differentiating between the SMLE and the No.4).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
Lee Speeds

I have one of those! The bottom one. Well, My Father had one and we decided to give it to my nephew. It came with a machine gun barrel but that got rusted so I had a No.4 barrel fitted. I still have the sights from it somewhere. It now carries a scope but has not lost the bolt dust cover. Interesting safety catch but backwards from a shotgun.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
This is how I did a friends No.4 scope mount bases. They include a rear "U" sight.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under the Lee straight pull are Remington Lees of various model and vintage. All interesting rifles for us old Remington cranks.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I'm not surprized they are "Lee's". They have his typical design! But they are beautiful specimens! Wow! What are they chambered in?

And those 45-70's? I was thinking of 41-303 so as to keep to the 303 Brit case but 45-70 is just that little bit bigger.... Mmmmm.... Actually, I am after a cast bullet chambering for a Lee - future project.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not an expert, but there is a comprehensive book on the subject: THE REMINGTON-LEE RIFLE by Eugene Myszkowski. The early black powder models had the rear locking lugs of the Lees you know and were chambered for cartridges such as 45-70 and .43 Spanish. New Zealand purchased a small number of the 1885 model in .43 Spanish. They were quickly withdrawn as unservicable, possibly due to defective ammunition. The 1899 smallbore was the one I find the most interesting. They were chambered for rimmed smokeless cartridges including 30-40 Krag, .303 British, .35 Winchester etc, and had front locking lugs in addition to the rear lugs. All models were built in military and sporting configuration. All have enough collector value to make wilcatting impractical.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
quote:
Not a #3MkIII, (#2 - .308)
Is that an Isaporian SMLE? (No other SMLE is supposed to be strong enough for a 308 - differentiating between the SMLE and the No.4).

It is from Isapor.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Not mine but has been done very tastefully

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some great looking rifles. I started on a SMLE project over a year ago using a #4 Mk1 that had been hacksaw sporterized. Caliber is now 375 Waters Express aka 375/444. I'm stalled right now as I haven't found anyone that sells wood for the SMLE and I don't want to make one from scratch, but I may have to. Anyone know where I might buy a semi inlet blank in a classic english sporter style like on the Lee Speed?

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures.

S&F - I'd like to see more photos of that rifle to see more of the details.

elk hunter - Great American Gunstock has a decent pattern for stocks.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys

Good thread.

Just to add to the info, Geoff Slee (Victoria, Aust.)told me that he had a pattern for a "Rigby" style stock for the Lee Enfield, I think for the No 3, but obviously adaptable to a No 4.

I never laid eyes on the LE pattern, but I have one of his "Rigby" style mauser stocks and its a beauty - very slim, high comb line etc.

I'd love to see a picture of one (Geoff is not an internet or email person as far as I know) or otherwise hear from someone who has tried his pattern.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
the SMLE is one of the ugliest oddest rifles I have seen

It's "unique", alright Wink

For years, all I could think of while looking at one was, "There's no mistaking this is a typically eccentric British product."

I found out as time went by there's method to the madness. The stock is two piece because stocks break at the wrist and SMLE's don't break there, and, I believe there are three buttstock lengths available to tune the pull.

Same for the bolthead, I believe there are three sizes to correct headspace as time passes.

Excellent sights, and it makes a great club when called upon to be one.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Anybody know who's stock pattern this is?

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found out as time went by there's method to the madness. The stock is two piece because stocks break at the wrist and SMLE's don't break there, and, I believe there are three buttstock lengths available to tune the pull.

Actually it is said it was to use up the large amount of Martini butt stocks left on hand! Hmm! I not sure of that...but Skennerton claims it so. But he doesn't always get it 100% right.

Four stocks at one time. The common ones "S" - SHORT, "L" - LONG (I used that length), unmarked which was normal and the WWI "B" or BANTAM butt for those soldiers under 5' 4" tall.

Fitting, I remember it well, was done by shouldering the rifle in the aim. The sergeant would then smartly flick back the bolt. Showing that it did not hit the firer's face. If it did you got a longer butt!

The huge advantage of the Enfield was its 60 degree angle and that you didn't "block" the sight everytime you reloaded as on the Mauser. Also the boldt was just that 1/2" shorter than the Mauser.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great American Gunstocks (GAG) has a very nice Holland and Holland pattern...you need to call and ask for it. It's available for both the No1 and 4 and in any grade of wood. I believe the pattern your asking about is this one.

Henry also has monte carlo's and rollovers. A couple are currently avaible on his site. These are very well inletted and very reasonable priced.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fireball
Its a reshaped Boyds

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I was afraid of that, apparently they aren't making them anymore.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are 2, the top one has my homemade scope mount. The bottom is a No4 with No1 barrel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33263830@N04/

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fireball
There may be a reason for them not making them any more. I had to send back three stocks due to knots splits and imperfections. They were not very nice on the phone when I called about the problems. I have stopped use any of their products after that. The stock was reshaped to get rid of the crummy wood in both pieces.
Great American has a nice pattern altho I have not been in contact with Henry since the fire they had to see if he is still making them.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I e-mailed Henry with GAG a couple of weeks ago and they are still producing their English sporter for the Enfields.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MR:
... The bottom is a No4 with No1 barrel.
MR, what was involved in fitting the No.1 barrel to the No.4? I want to do a similar thing.

Regards
303Guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
303Guy,

It screwed in but lacked 180* of lining up the sights, I adjusted the shoulders and didn't have to mess with the chamber. I have heard that the threads were different, but this one screwed right up.

mr

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
MR
Could you elaborate please? How did you adjust the shoulders? (The threads are the same but have a different start). Did you have to re-cut the extractor cut-out? I have had two No.4 barrels fitted to No.1's and the one needed a little reaming to fit the case while the other was left as is but they did have to be set back to align the extractor cut-out. They both ended up with rather neat fitting chambers.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is VERY FUGLY> It is the perfect 4 wheeler, tracor, or truck gin. You cannot hurt it.

Keith

Now, if you really want to get uglier and handier for the tractor, you can modify a Choate folding stock for a Remington 870 to fit. It may require a small notch in the plastic cover on the butt to have the bolt fit so it will fold completely flat. Ugly, yes. Handy, very. shocker

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just treated it like a long chambered barrel, cut them back on a lathe until the sights lined up. I did not cut the extractor slot at first, it worked OK, but I cut it back anyway. I'm afraid of regular reamers, they are large. I'm saving for a custom made to about .451 base to match the US brass.

mr

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks MR.
Lining up the sights is the same as lining up the extractor slot. I will not be able to swap barrels as the chamber in question is already tight. It's the 303-25 barrel I would like to fit to my No.4 action. I do not want to touch the chamber. This gun seems to shoot just fine i.e. it ain't broke! Wink

Regards
303Guy