New
Find
Notify
Tools

McGowan Barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Opinions on the quality of McGowan's barrels would be very much appreciated. I am strongly considering them to rebarrel a rifle and want some feedback on how their barrels are in relation to other makers' quality, the timeliness of getting work done and how they are to deal with as a company. Thanks in advance, Ed

Posts: 161 | Location: Seattle - temporarily! | Registered: 04 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only purchase through my gunsmith but the quality was excellent.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I had a new 7.62x39 barrel installed & etc. on a small sako and it shoots very well, perfect chamber, and a 6x47 rechambered to 6-222, again perfect chamber and the 6-222 as a lightened sporterized bench gun was better than the bench gun.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Opinions on the quality of McGowan's barrels would be very much appreciated. I am strongly considering them to rebarrel a rifle and want some feedback on how their barrels are in relation to other makers' quality, the timeliness of getting work done and how they are to deal with as a company. Thanks in advance, Ed

I have done business with Harry Mc Gowan for 20+ years. He is very fair and honest, and makes very good barrels.

His lead times can get out there a bit, but it is because they do it right, and have lots of orders.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
They did one for me 20+ years ago in .257 Ackley and it performs very well. If I were not doing my own these days I would not hesitate to use them again. I wanted to have that barrel freebored beyond what was normal and Mr. McGowan talked me out of it. Very down to earth guy who is easy to deal with and very knowledgeable. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a McGowan barrel in .338-06 on a Mark X Mauser that was done 20 years ago that is still shooting great. They were great to do business with and I would do it all over again with them.

Posts: 88 | Location: Lexington, Ky | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to use them on ocassion and never had any complaint, but today I am a true believer in Lothar Walther barrels, but thats what makes a horserace isn't it...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had three barrels done by McGowen.

22/6mm
340 Wby
500 A-Square

All top notch.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote