New
Find
Notify
Tools

Claw rings and bases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How much would it cost, approximately, to fit a set of claw rings to a rifle that already has the bases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can expect to pay about $500-600, depending on the difficulty to get a tight fit. I've had Mark and NECG do some work for me, and have been very pleased.

Keep in mind that the parts aren't that expensive, and are often pre-fit for a particular application. It might be cost effective to replace the bases as well, ensuring a perfect match. E-mail Mark for a quote each way.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Champlins estimates $6-800.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently inquired about the same thing with several places. All recommended at least replaceing the front base with a new base engraved and blued to match the rifle. This allowed for a matched pair (ring and base) in front and then the rear ring was fit to the existing base.

Yes all estimate ranged from $550 to over $800.

Once the budget allows I will be sending my gun to be fitted to NECG. This was for a Mannlicher Schoenauer.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What appeared like a good deal on a claw base-equipped rifle is quickly turning into a $ pit.

I understand all the work that goes into fitting claw rings to bases, but I had no idea it was that much, and I cannot be convinced that claw mounts are that much better in the return to zero aspect than more modern, simpler solutions.

Looks like typical German over-engineering gone to the extreme.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
What appeared like a good deal on a claw base-equipped rifle is quickly turning into a $ pit.

I understand all the work that goes into fitting claw rings to bases, but I had no idea it was that much, and I cannot be convinced that claw mounts are that much better in the return to zero aspect than more modern, simpler solutions.

Looks like typical German over-engineering gone to the extreme.

You may be right about return to zero reliability, but the claw mounts can be removed quickly. If that's of importance to you then that is definitely a deciding factor.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
The lock-up on properly fitted claw mounts is remarkable, in that the scope can be removed or replaced in an instant, using just one hand. There are more modern methods that can achieve the same repeatability, but not the same speed or ease of attachment.

That being said, putting $600 rings on a $500 rifle doesn't make much sense. If your rifle is worth $3K, then I feel you owe it to the rifle to use the claw mounts. Otherwise, you may just want to remove the bases and use a less expensive method, such as the Leupold QR system.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KurtC:
The lock-up on properly fitted claw mounts is remarkable, in that the scope can be removed or replaced in an instant, using just one hand. There are more modern methods that can achieve the same repeatability, but not the same speed or ease of attachment.

That being said, putting $600 rings on a $500 rifle doesn't make much sense. If your rifle is worth $3K, then I feel you owe it to the rifle to use the claw mounts. Otherwise, you may just want to remove the bases and use a less expensive method, such as the Leupold QR system.

Kurt, the rifle is an Emil Kerner, and it already has the bases. It is not being offered for $500, but still for less than $1000. Should I be worried by the price? It looks good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this scene has been around as ong as I can remember. I'd see really nice looking rifles laying around a gunshow for little or nothing due to the claw mounts. In general the mounts are worth more than the rifle

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote