New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre/post 64 M70 Stock differences?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, so I am working out the details of a build-up of a Pre64 M70 action. In looking into Stocks, I see there seems to be a difference in the footprint between the pre and post 64 models. What was changed that differentiates them from each other? I was under the impression that most changes were to the internals( I.E. bolt/barrel setup).

Care to clue me in?

Thanks,

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest differences in the M70 came before 64. The rear tang went from the "Cloverleaf" styyle to the tapered style now used. I'm in the market for a "Cloverleaf" style if you find one.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is a cloverleaf worth more?What is the value of a clover leaf barreled action?I know where one is in excellent condition-The old stock is fried/junk and botttom metal is worn silver........

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The "cloverleaf" rear tang went out with the Pre-War Model 70's. The rear tang may have changed post 64 but not materially different than those made after 1945.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The post 64 action is longer. I don't remember the exact measurements but the difference is in the magazine area. The pre 64 has a 30-06 length magazine and the post 64 has a 375H+H length magazine that is blocked off for shorter rounds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
here is a pre-64 in a post-64 stock. Should give you an idea of the differences. if I recall, the front screw hole has to be moved back 3/16" or so, drilling a hole for the pillar takes it up easily, and the recoil lug mortise has to be moved back as well.

hope this helps

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=337857&c=500&z=1"] [/url]

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=337856&c=500&z=1"] [/url]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The picture reminds me that the trigger guard is also wider on the post 64.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, for the clarification. I often run into nice take-offs for post 64s at reasonable prices, and was aware that they wouldn't work for my pre model- just didn't know why.

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote