Find
Notify
Tools

Truman Wilson - Delta, CO?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted
Anyone here had any gun work done by Truman Wilson in Delta Colorado? I took a rifle to him last week and he seems like a great guy. He was more than willing to spend a bunch of time talking to me about, what to him is a probably a very minor job. From our discussions I got the impression that he knows his stuff.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Got my Remington 700 (.300 RUM) back from Truman Wilson today. He had told me it might be Christmas time, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I have been getting only mediocre accuracy out of this rifle since I purchased it and was hoping a gunsmith could help. Turned out the factory synthetic stock was actually slightly bowed and was pressing on the barrel from the side.

I had a new MacMillan stock with Decelerator pad installed, the action glass bedded and barrel free floated. The new stock has a higher comb so my eye actually aligns with the scope now. Got rid of the hinged floor plate and Truman welded about 1/4" of metal to the magazine so that I can now actually fit three rounds in there. This was nearly impossible to do previously.

Feels like a new rifle and I can't wait to take it the range this weekend.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truman is a top notch man! When Dan Lilja did gunsmithing he would have Truman do his bedding work. Truman is accuracy oriented. Very good at what he does. He bedded my 1000 yard rifle and it didn't matter what barrel I put on it, it would flat ass shoot and I think it was the platform that Truman bedded that was responsible for if shooting so well. You would do well by Truman! thumb

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote