Find
Notify
Tools

500 Jeffery questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
What is the best weight range for a 500 Jeff bolt rifle? I'm thinking 10-11 lbs.

Barrel length? 22"?

Twist? These are all over the board from 10 to 20. What's standard?

Muzzle diameter? Leaving 0.125" on each side makes a diameter of ~0.760"..seems light to me. Your thoughts? Thanks!

(Jeffe - move this to Big Bores if need be)

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to be able to use brass bullets like Barnes, or heavier bullets, go with a fast twist (1:10) for stability (and deeper penetration).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the Jeff...shot my first cape with one and am using another for a couple in Tanzania next year

Mine is 1-20, using Woodleigh's loaded by Loud n Boomer at about 2300 in 23" bbl...his load is superb! I see Norma is loading 570's and are available from Black Hills...this might be the ultimate 500 Jeff loading??

Be sure 2000CIP specs are used in the chamber...lots of confusion onthis round in the past.

My first weighed 9.5 w/o scope...litle light! current rifle just about a pound heavier and seems just about right...still plenty ofrecoil to go around, but not punishing..

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Hi Duane,

Are the 2000 CIP specs the ones Kynoch is using? What's the length and muzzle diameter of your heavier 500? Thanks.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote