New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber of Oregon Safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need help with a Kimber of Oregon Model 84 with a three position model 70 style safety The safety lever can't be put in safe position when cocked. I can partially open the bolt and then put the safety in the intermediate position, close the bolt and can then put the safety back to the rear position as well as move it forward off safety. But if moved off safety, it can't then be pushed rearward to safe position.
Any ideas on what might be wrong? Can anyone tell me how to disassemble the bolt so that I can clean it and check to see if I can find what might be preventing the rearward movement of the lever?
Thanks in advance.

posted Hide Post
Put the safe lever in mid position, take the bolt out of the action and unscrew the cocking piece. If the bolt is not cocked, just pull back on the cocking piece and turn. Same as most other turnbolt guns.

Posts: 13 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 09 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that works with the current Kimbers. This is an early Oregon Kimber and the cocking piece/shroud doesn't turn just by putting the safety in the middle position. It has a screw in the rear of the bolt that I think likely has to be removed before unscrewing the shroud, but I don't want to mess it up not knowing what I'm doing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had this very same thing happen on my Winchester Model 70 classic .300 Win Mag.

Taking it apart and putting it back together again was a bitch. But some very careful and very judicious polishing took care of the problem and now it works just fine. You might want to use some Dykem and put it all back together and try to force the safety on. You then might be able to see where the problem is.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one knows how to disassemble the bolt?
Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
No one knows how to disassemble the bolt?
Thanks.

Nope. Total mystery.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
I believe that works with the current Kimbers. This is an early Oregon Kimber and the cocking piece/shroud doesn't turn just by putting the safety in the middle position. It has a screw in the rear of the bolt that I think likely has to be removed before unscrewing the shroud, but I don't want to mess it up not knowing what I'm doing.

That would be the firing pin protrusion adjustment screw. There should also be a small hex set screw to lock that in position. That screw has nothing to do with removal of the cocking piece from the bolt body.

Herr Mauser designed a bolt locking pin that needs to be depressed to unscrew the cocking piece. On the Kimbers I have seen, that is replaced by a spring loaded ball detent. Perhaps yours is corroded or frozen.

Posts: 13 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 09 February 2018Reply With Quote